Carbonation differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerfanatic7

Reaction score
Two weeks ago i bottled a batch of mr. Beer red ale (2 gal) and a batch of true brew Octoberfest (5 gal) at the same time. I used the coopers carb drops on both. I got good carb on the mr beer and really low carb on the Octoberfest. Why would this happen?

is the octoberfest a true octoberfest? If its been lagering it could just take longer. the other option could be temperature or preceved carbonation. It could have the same carbonation and just seem like less.

jtsims21 said:
is the octoberfest a true octoberfest? If its been lagering it could just take longer. the other option could be temperature or preceved carbonation. It could have the same carbonation and just seem like less.

Im not sure what kind of yeast true brew gives with the octoberfest kit, i didnt keep it at lager temps and i dont taste off flavors really, just not carbed up proper. Should i try puttin em in the fridge for a week or so?

Another factor could be alcohol content and gravity. Higher gravity beers will take longer to carb, so if your oktoberfes is higher gravity than your red ale, that might be part of it. Two weeks is minimal time for carbonation though, give them another week and try.

Back