Carbonation Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris_the_Russian

Reaction score
I have read several different publications regarding the time needed to force carbonate my beer with CO2. A few say 3 days, some say 5, and yesterday I read in here that it will be up to 3 weeks before it's perfect. I prefer the set and wait method, and the pumpkin ale I just finished has been on the gas for 8 days at 38' and 10 psi.
I'm now starting to believe 3 weeks is gonna be the truth because, after 6 days when I checked, it was way under carbonated. I understand the variations of the crank and shake, mixed with the set and wait, but why is it that some say set it to serving pressure and in 3-5 days it's good? Never worked for me.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just my setup? Next time I think I'm gonna set it at 30psi and rock it a bit, set it in the fridge for 24hrs and then dump it back to 10psi and see what happens. Tell me what you guys think?

I think 3 to 5 days at full blast on like 30psi is the trick they speak of.

I tried 10 minutes on 30psi for rolling on my pumpkin...
little hint: don't try it.
My pumpkin ale is now pure foam.

I just set to 30 psi for 3 days. Works every time. I never had any success with the rocking method, I just got foam the two times I tried it.

Which brings up another question- if I set to 60 psi, could I have carbonated beer in a day and a half?

So... Ignoring all the mis-information I have found stating 3-5 days at serving pressure will carbonate my beer, I should just rack to he keg and set it at 30psi for 3 days? This won't over carbonate? What about the carbonation charts and exact CO2 ppm at a set temp? Maybe 30psi gets you in the carbonation ballpark and it looks and tastes like beer, then set to serving pressure at the 3 day mark? Don't mean to be so long winded, it's just very frustrating at this point yeah know?

The 30psi for 3 days method is a guess, it is better to leave it at the pressure u want for two weeks instead...

with 30psi, you leave it for 3 days (or less) then start stepping down to the presure you want/want to serve at, there is no garuntee of having perfect carb this way.

Well, don't say it's necessarily mis-information. It's what I do.

I set it at 10-12psi and leave it. About a week is good. 3 days. . . not so much; 5 days. . . okay, maybe; 7-9 days is good. Has worked for me for 5 kegs now. . .

Have NOT had good results with the high pressure method, and went through a lot more CO2 as well. . .

So... Ignoring all the mis-information I have found stating 3-5 days at serving pressure will carbonate my beer ...

Nearly everything I've seen says at least 7 days for MINIMUM, maybe drinkable beer. Two weeks to start to get close to correct carbonation when set at serving pressure.

Once you have your gas plan, attach your keg to the carbon dioxide tank adjusted to the pressure dictated by your gas table and wait. A batch of homebrew is small and the headspace pressure will equilibrate with the beer in about 3 days.
http://***********/stories/wizard/a...oper-way-to-force-carbonate-a-keg-of-homebrew

Carbonating your home-made beer can be a little tricky. This handy carbonation table lists PSI (Pressure per Square Inch) against keg temperature to give you a quick reference guide for carbonating you ales over a three to five day period.
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

Give your beer 48 hours to carbonate. It will reach its saturation point within this amount of time and the regulator will shut down altogether.
http://www.homebrew.com/articles/article12018101.shtml

at 12psi i've found a magic number is 10 days for the temps i'm usually at.. my first couple i had a shot glass above my keg and tried just a sip every day.. at 7 days it was "OK", though at 10 days it was at "wow, did i actually make that" .. amazing how just a couple more days makes it that much better

Back