carbonation bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
hey has anyone carbonated in a glass bottle like this? ive had a couple brewers saying that its all good and fine and a couple saying that its a bad idea, just wanted another opinion seeing i have loads of them.They 1000ml.

Cheers for the advice!

20150326_210213.jpg

So long as they seal airtight then no worries.
I like 500ml bottles as they fit straight into a glass without having to pour into a jug first (slightly off topic)

From what I understand if you use clear glass you will want to keep them out of direct sunlight. I use 32oz flip tops. Makes bottling much easier.

That bottle is fine to use. I agree with hazza on keeping them out of the sun light when they are aging.

What everyone else said, plus the flip top will fail before the glass if it is in good shape. You will still have a mess if it fails, but it won't constitute broken glass.

As long as that bottle held something carbonated before, I say go for it

Just because it has a fliptop closure, doesn't automatically mean the glass will stand up to the pressure of carbonation. The square bottom makes me think the bottle is intended to be a fancy vinegar or oil bottle, not a homebrew beer bottle. I could be wrong though. Check the thickness of the glass, compare it to a fliptop bottle intended for homebrew, if it's the same, go with it, if not, well you might want to use that square bottomed bottle for something else.

I've just never seen or heard of square bottomed fliptops for beer. I've seen them for oil & such though. Just cuz I never saw them, doesn't mean they don't exist though. I'm not being very helpful, am I?
Regards, GF.

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/bottle-handle...K028S6U475RH/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0000CFMBL

It is a valid point and no you are being helpful. Seeing as there are mixed responses ill give it a try but not with all the bottles maybe just a couple. Ill let ya guys know how i get on, hopefully no bottle bombs!
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm with GF. Swing top seals can hold a ton of pressure, but that looks like store-bought thin walled bottles for oil and such. I think they will most likely explode. If you try to use them, keep them in something that will contain flying glass.

hey has anyone carbonated in a glass bottle like this? ive had a couple brewers saying that its all good and fine and a couple saying that its a bad idea, just wanted another opinion seeing i have loads of them.They 1000ml.

Cheers for the advice!
My only concern with this kind of bottle is NOT that it won't seal (I use half-liter stoneware bottles with flip tops for my cider with no problems). These bottles don't look like they're up to handling any pressure.

I was almost tempted to try the swing tops from ikea, but again not sure if they could handle pressure, but they were also three bucks each

Square bottles are not designed for pressurization. When is the last time you've seen a carbonated beverage in a square bottle?

Back