carbonation and conditioning advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyclef

Reaction score
hey, brewed and kegged a stout. primary fermentation 10 days... 7 days in keg kept around 40 degrees at 10psi... tasted it, not bad but maybe a bit homebrewy and green and low on carbonation... 3 more days at 12psi... tasted it, not much better and still low on carbonation. am i being too impatient here? advice?

yes, you are being extremely impatient.

Even for a mild pale ale, I won't drink it until about 6 weeks after I brewed it. 4 weeks in the fermenter, and two weeks in the keg. Even then, the flavor doesn't really mature for another 2 weeks. So... 8 weeks from brew day to deliciousness.

For a stout, I'd still do 4 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the keg, but the flavor wouldn't mature for another 4 weeks. 10 weeks from brew day to deliciousness.

You are only at about 3 weeks from brew day. That beer is super young.

yikes... ok, so... how do i salvage this situation considering i've already got the beer in the keg carbonating?

Maybe a little impatient. I don't wait quite as long as some folks but a week at serving temp can make a world of difference. Of course it depends on the specific beer...

do you think 12psi is too low?

nope. That's where I have mine set, too. It takes a couple weeks for beer to carb up that way, but you can then just start serving at that same pressure.

Some folks use a very high pressure to carb up faster, but then you have to drop it back down to serving pressure and possible bleed off gas if you overcarbed it.

12psi is a good set-n-forget pressure to carb and serve most ales.

nice. i'll try it out on friday again. that will have been 2 weeks exact.

Back