Carbonating NEIPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing NEIPAs for a couple of years now. I want to know what volume of CO2 people are using. I know its a personal preference, just asking to get a general censuses.

I have been carbing high; 13psi@40f

I like almost all of my IPAs (and most other American style beers) at about that volume. I do 12-13 psi at 40 degrees. That's not high, though- it's about 2.5 volumes of c02.

I am carbing a neipa starting tomorrow. I will use 2.3 or roughly 10psi @ 39f. The reason that I am trying lower is recently a brewer I know said that the high carb will distract from the juiciness. I will let you know.

The other side of that argument is if the carbonation is too low the aroma won’t jump out of the glass at you, which is another hallmark of the NEIPA. My favorite of that style, Bissell Brother’s Swish, is pretty fizzy. I took off a pound of grain and added 4 additional oz of corn sugar to my clone to replicate it.

Back