Carbonating in a keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It helps to put a little pressure in the keg first. A lot of these kegs leak until they have a little pressure built up so you won't be able to carb with sugar. Hit your keg with 12 psi and you should be fine with the sugar.

I can't understand why people want to do this. I hate so-called "natural carbing". Everything left to chance. If you have a keg, force carb and don't screw around with "natural" carbing.

I can't understand why people want to do this. I hate so-called "natural carbing". Everything left to chance. If you have a keg, force carb and don't screw around with "natural" carbing.

Why? It's a no brainer. If you have a special batch that aged forever in the carboy or has high abv, then you could simply add a little yeast to it. Every other batch will work without issue the same as bottle priming. Also, how many infections do you hear about with priming sugars? I do it for one simple reason: It saves a lot of CO2. I not only save money but probably will have half of the trips to the gas shop as a result.

Also If you want a traditional beer, then carbing with wort is the only method.:mug:

What's to hate about natural carbonation, and what exactly do you think is being left to chance? A lot of people who have limited room in their kegerator/keezer prefer to prime the kegs with sugar and naturally carb so that as soon as a keg kicks, there's a carbed and ready to go keg there to take it's place. This way you don't need to wait for the force carbonation to happen.

A lot of people also feel that natural carbonation produces finer bubbles and a better mouthfeel. It is for this reason that several award winning craft breweries carb all of their beers naturally.

I like force carbing, but when I've got a full kegerator and a half dozen more beers ready, it just makes financial sense, buying extra regulators/manifolds and wasting CO2 by carbing at room temps.. when I can add pennies of dextrose and let my yeastie minions do the work themselves?

When you do this do you end up with the first few beers full of sediment? I have thought about this for a while, but the bottle sediment is

The first half pint I pour from any keg is full of sediment, regardless of whether I force carb or naturally carb. After that it pours clear. There's not a noticeably larger amount of sediment when naturally carbonating. The only way to completely avoid the sediment is either racking multiple times after cold crashing, or filtration.

Back