carbonating and conditioning in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
Hello friends

From what I think I have learned, when I bottle, it is best to let the bottles sit for a minimum of a few weeks to carb, condition, and improve flavor. I think that I have also learned that you can force carb in kegs and drink within 1-3 days. Does the beer not condition when you do this? Is it better to let the beer sit for weeks in the keg if you force carb anyway?

Heya :)

It depends on the style. A basic ale that has had plenty of time in your fermenter can be force carbed and consumed straight away. A hefeweizen or a wit would be especially good to drink "fresh". Some beers will lose off flavors and taste better after some time in the keg, especially bigger beers, more complex ales, etc. A lager, ofcourse, needs time in the keg at near freezing temps for many weeks or months to "lager". Basically the "conditioning" time applies to both bottles and kegs equally, but its the "carbing" time that can be accelerated in a keg. I'd say try some of the beer fresh then wait to compare how it tastes after 6 weeks in the keg. You'll know what to do with that style the next time you brew it.

Hello friends

From what I think I have learned, when I bottle, it is best to let the bottles sit for a minimum of a few weeks to carb, condition, and improve flavor. I think that I have also learned that you can force carb in kegs and drink within 1-3 days. Does the beer not condition when you do this? Is it better to let the beer sit for weeks in the keg if you force carb anyway?

When I quit being in such a hurry to drink the beer, I noticed the flavor distinctly improved. I think a little aging is good. I try to do at least two weeks in the keg prior to drinking it. At serving pressure that gives it plenty of time to carb and clear. I just plan on about 6 weeks from grain to glass.

Latest posts

Back