Carbonated Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithacabrewing

Reaction score
This year I went all out with cider making, rented a press to go straight to the source and came out with a ton of great tasting unpasterized cider. It has been fermenting on a champagne yeast since early november and I have reracked everything atleast twice. Now just about everything is ready to bottle besides the really alcoholic experiments but I just can't come up with enough champagne bottles to cover the amount of cider I want to carbonate. I have an unlimited supply of wine bottles but as far as I know they can not be used for carbonation. That is why I was posting here, does anyone know of a way to carbonate using regular old wine bottles, I know the pressure build up is extreme but I was thinking of using wire hoods used on champagne bottles on wine bottles? Or maybe champagne corks held down by wire hoods. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

The problem with wine bottles is not in the cork, it's in the glass. You can carbonate using a wine bottle, but I wouldn't recommend it. People have done it in the past with success but people have also reported things like the bottle exploding or even the bottom popping off. If the cork is hooded, the pressure has to go somewhere...

If you really must carbonate using your wine bottle, find out what atmosphere it is rated at and carbonate accordingly. I still say that you shouldn't though. Just leave it still...

I don't know from experience, but everywhere I've read says don't use normal wine bottles for carbonated because they'll crack.

Other options include 12oz beer bottles with crown caps, or Grolsch style bottles (eg http://www.midwestsupplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=grolsch&x=0&y=0 ). A capper costs less than $15 and caps are cheap -- you just need to wash out beer bottles after you drink them. Ikea happens to sell a 34oz(=1liter) clear Grolsch style bottle for a few dollars. I've used these for some 1 gallon batches and they hold the pressure fine. I kept them in a plastic bin just to be sure -- perhaps you could do that with one wine bottle as a test, see if it explodes.

Simply put, I've been under the impression that wine bottles just arn't built to handle the pressure that champagne bottles can.

But I agree with McMunro (does that have anything to do with Antartica?) that beer bottles that are capped are built to handle pressure.

They usually sell Cider in Beer bottles... so that is what I have used. Works great so far...

I just used the plain 'ole brown pry-off top bottles.. Got 10 bottles of cider sitting in the fridge calling my name right now.

Ordinary wine bottles/corks can't withstand the pressure & FYI: most don't have a large enough lip to hold a wire hood either. Champagne bottles are designed to take the pressure & of course they have the lip for the hood. You can use beer bottles, they work just fine. You might also call some of the lcl restaurants & ask if they'll save some champagne bottles for you, that can be a great way to get free bottles. Of course you can also buy the empty champagne bottles too. Regards, GF.

I see that you must be from somewhere near Ithaca NY. If you can get to Waterloo container you'll find all types of glass @ great prices. I was picking up 6 gal carboys last year @21.00. You are probably are close enough where you don't have to pay shipping. They do sell champagne bottles but I have no idea how much they are. You can google them and they will give you a quote. (and I don't work for them!)

Hey guys thank you all for your great responses, it was all very informative. I will be looking into Waterloo container, good idea!

Back