Carbonate cold or room temp????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
I just started kegging my beer and im wondering if there is a difference in carbonating it at room temp or go ahead and put it in the fridge? Does it matter? Will one carb faster or slower?

oh right...yeah force carbing...hit it with 35psi last night purged the O2 and hit it again...been sittin at room temp like that since last night.

Force carbing you want it in the cooler. 35 psi is a lot especially when just purging. I use 5-7 to seal the gasket and purge.

The beer will absorb the appropriate amount of carbonation at cooler temps but at 35 psi, that stuff will carb. You might over carb it.

I have a 2 keg kegerator and I ma going to try doing the carbing at room temp @ 30-35 psi for 10 days and see how it turns out. I am also going to naturally carb one and see what results I like better. I do recommend cold crashing either way. When I CC a brew then keg it comes out nice and clear. Note, I do use Whirfloc @ 15

Here is a good calculator for you:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

Set in the volumes you want of CO2 and the temp you are storing it at. You will see that the higher the temp, the more pressure you need to carbonate. At room temp and 35 PSI, you will be at about 3 volumes of CO2... higher than suggested for most beer styles, so I would probably not be too far off to say that you are risking overcarbonation.

Nothing wrong with carbing at room temps as long as you use a chart like previously posted to get the right pressure. It takes a little longer, but it works.

Back