Carbing keg with sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
hey guys,
I have a quick question. When you carbonate kegs with sugar there is going to be sludge at the bottom right? Will it clog the out pipe? How do Local beer distributors keg, force or sugar?

It'll come out in the first pint or two, assuming you don't shake it up a lot before serving. If you want to save a little CO2 or it's easier, go for it!

Yeast sediment is very fluid. It'll come right out. A lot of folks will bend their dip tubes a bit more to get them off the very bottom and avoid sucking up yeast sediment.

The local micro I visited will actually seal up their fermenters when fermentation is almost complete. The remaining fermentation takes place under pressure and results in carbonated beer. Depending on the batch, this may or may not then be filtered.

Most of their beers are not filtered...but the fermenter is chilled the last 36 hours to force the yeast to drop...then the beer is racked from above the sediment...yielding clearer beer.

...The local micro I visited will actually seal up their fermenters when fermentation is almost complete. The remaining fermentation takes place under pressure and results in carbonated beer. Depending on the batch, this may or may not then be filtered...
This is how Kellerbier is produced in Germany. Kegged before fermentation is complete.

I don't think it's filtered. It's my understanding if you filter carbonated beer you oxidize it. Anyone confirm/deny that?

Thanks for the info guys. You all answered my question, and then some.

Filtering under pressure in a sealed system won't cause oxidation. Where would the O2 come from?

Back