Carbing an Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
Sooooo....

I'm going to be bottling an oatmeal coffee stout soon, that currently has no coffee in it.

I have three options as I see it.

Add coffee to the secondary, carb as normal.
Add coffee to the bottling bucket, carb as normal.
Or, instead of water to make the priming syrup, use coffee.

I have heard bad things can happen to flavors if you get the coffee hot, which just sounds odd.

Its best to cold brew the coffie. This keeps out some of the astringency(sp?). I would just add it to bottling bucket and carb like normal. I believe thats what most people do and what i have done in the past.

well I know it is too late now, but one of the best beers I have brewed so far is "I Eat Danger for Breakfast Stout." The directions have you put 5 oz of fresh ground coffee in it at flame-out and let steep for 10 IIRC. It is tasty.

Second the cold brew and adding at bottling time. Go easy add, mix gently and taste until you have the taste you want.

well I know it is too late now, but one of the best beers I have brewed so far is "I Eat Danger for Breakfast Stout." The directions have you put 5 oz of fresh ground coffee in it at flame-out and let steep for 10 IIRC. It is tasty.

Two things, do you have a copy of the all grain recipe? I can only find the extract one, and I am not paying $40+ for raw ingredients. And what exactly did you mean by "steep"? Are you straining it out after that our just letting it settle out during fermentation?

My personal favorite is 4oz for 48-60 hours in secondary while cold crashing. Adding cold stepped at bottling works too, but I feel like it hurt the body when I have done it that way.

Coarse crack the beans put in muslin bags add to secondary. Have done hot/cold/flameout/primary/beans/cold brew/bottling/kegged additions and this one seems to work the best for flavor and less oil issues for head retention.

Back