Carbination over time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumbee

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have done a few batches of raspberry, blackberry and muscadine beers over the past year with great success (IMO at least). I have been letting them ferment for between 3-9 months. I usually begin consuming 2 weeks after bottling, and the fermentation is fine. However, I have noticed a few of the beers that I have let age in bottle for longer periods (6 months) have been way over-carbinated, to the point of exploding when I pop the cap, and basically renders them undrinkable. I am deducing that the beer is continuing to ferment/carbinate the longer it stays in the bottle. Would you concur with this? Assuming that is correct, should I let these beers ferment longer? I have heard you should/can give lambics up to 18 months to ferment. Do you think this will remedy my fermentaiton issue? Any info appreciated. Thanx!

You are correct. Your bottles probably have some Brett or wild bugs in them and are eating the sugars that brewers yeast cannot. You should get your bottles in a fridge ASAP or you run the risk of bottle bombs! The cold temps of a fridge will stop fermentation in the bottle and save you a nice mess.

And you shouldn't be bottling these wild beers until your FG is at least 1.008 or less. What is your FG when you bottle and what kind of primary yeast are you using??

Thanx for the response. Good tip on getting it in the fridge. I have a basment that stays nice and cool, so that where I'v been storing it, but I'm sure fridge temps would slow/stop fermentation.

Don't have the exact yeast handy but I think it was the Wy Rosair. I have been remiss about taking FG/SG measurements, but I plan to do so with future batches. Thanx!

Back