Carbinating Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
So here's the deal.

I want to keg my porter today but I only have 1 regulator with a 3 way manifold.
I currently have a centennial blonde on tap which is set to serving pressure of 10psi.
Beer pours beautifully.

I want to carb to 1.9 vols of C02 which the calculator I used said 4.9psi

Should I unhook my blonde from the gas and leave the porter at 4.9psi until carbinated or just turn the psi down leave everything hooked up and deal with the slow pour.

First time doing a porter as well so I'm not sure how to swing this.

What would you do HBT?

If you're not in a rush, you could add the appropriate amount of priming sugar to the Porter and let it carb that way in the keg.

Without changing your equipment you will either have to settle for a very slow pour, possibly decreasing carbonation in the Blonde or increase the carbonation in the porter. You will need a secondary regulator if you want to dispense 2 different beers at different carbonation levels.

Or you could carbonate them separately, close off one, open the other, change the regulator, then do the same when you want to dispense from the other.

I believe that once you carbonate both of them to desired you can set your pressure for dispensing. But in my system that is 11 psi which is more than the 4.9 you want for your porter.

So far I just force carbonate at 30 psi overnight then set to serving pressure and leave it alone. In a few days to a week everything stabilizes. They all have the same carbonation. Differing carb levels are a future project for me.

Hi. If you have check valves on your manifold to prevent back flow, then you can turn the pressure on the regulator down to 4.9 or 5 psi to carb your Porter, and still leave the Blonde hooked up. It shouldn't affect the Blonde's current carbonation. Yes, you'll get a slower poor on tap, but so what? You can wait an extra 15-30 seconds, right? If it were me, I'd throttle the regulator back to 8 psi, hook up the Porter, and you should still get a good pour on the Blonde. I think you'll find that at 4.9 psi, you'll think your Porter is almost flat and would want to carb it more. Ed
:mug:

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I think I'm going to try Ed's suggestion and put it at 8psi and see what happens. I need a dual regulator if I'm going get into this porter and blonde on tap at the same time. I just need the Mulah.

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I think I'm going to try Ed's suggestion and put it at 8psi and see what happens. I need a dual regulator if I'm going get into this porter and blonde on tap at the same time. I just need the Mulah.
Hi, again. I understand about mulah, dinero, coin..., but if/when you come into it. Here's a pretty good deal on a two or three valve secondary regulator (especially if you sign up for the emails & get $10 off):

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/secondary/IRLH-54S-2.html?bstr=1

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/secondary/three-product-premium-pro-series-secondary-co2-beer-regulator.html

That way, you can have whatever crazy mix of beers you want in your keezer/kegerator! Ed

Hi, again. I understand about mulah, dinero, coin..., but if/when you come into it. Here's a pretty good deal on a two or three valve secondary regulator (especially if you sign up for the emails & get $10 off):

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/secondary/IRLH-54S-2.html?bstr=1

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...-pro-series-secondary-co2-beer-regulator.html

That way, you can have whatever crazy mix of beers you want in your keezer/kegerator! Ed

That's awesome. Thanks man. I gotta call on Monday and see what shipping to Canada is. I've priced them out up here and a triple reg would run me around $160 CAD, not including shipping.

Latest posts

Back