Carb dropped an undercarbed beer. Let's see how this goes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancydc

Reaction score
I brewed a very tasty pumpkin ale at the end of summer. As I dumped all the pumpkin and squash into the boil and left it in primary, I had a ton of trub and only got about 3.5 gallons out of it. When bottling, I scaled down the priming sugar, but I realized after I scaled it down too much.

Now, I've read this board (especially Revvys' carbing reply) enough to know to just give it time. The first few weeks it was cold in the room where the bottles were, and a tasted bottle had no carbonation and was cidery. I wrapped the bottles in blankets and put a space heater nearby and waited a few more weeks - mild success! Got a little bit of carbonation and the cidery taste was gone. But way way less than what I wanted. I gave it a few MORE weeks, so now it's been about 2 months in the bottle, and I'm confident they're as carbed as they're going to get.

I've read mixed opinions on this board on whether this is a good idea, but yesterday I dropped in Cooper's carb drops yesterday and recapped. I then put the bottles in cardboard cases and double wrapped them in plastic bags, just in case.

This thread isn't asking for advice, obviously (too late!), but I'll let everyone know if a disaster unfolds in my laundry room.

Back