carafa special I/II/III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out these specialty malts.

when is it appropriate to use these-- are they a substitute for equivalent level roasted barley (ie carafa special 2 for 300L roasted barley; carafa special 3 for 500L roasted barley)?

Or, do they have a different purpose?

LHBS guy says the former, but im starting to wonder if this isnt entirely accurate.

anyone have a good explanation?

These are dehusked roasted malts, so the yimpart much less of a roast caharacter. I use Carafa II in a few beers. Off hand, I'm not sure of the color ratings, but they get darker in ascending order.

Use them to obtain color and some roasty notes, but they do not impart the bitter astringency of roast barley. This is due to the fact that the husks have been removed from the grain. I use it to add color to alt beers, dark lagers, dunkelweizen, etc. In other words, I use them when I want dark color without the (stoutish) taste of roasted barley.

Chocolate Carafa Special (I and II) give similar effect to chocolate wheat malt.

carafa special II is around 450 L or so. It gives me a more brown color than red. Anyone use the special III?

Thanks everyone...so generally, it sounds as though these shouldn't be replacing roasted barley in a stout. Right?

Back