Car jack plus car equals apple press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foodchain

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing my first batch of cider. I juiced apples, mixed in honey and narbonne yeast, and filled three glass gallon jugs. It has been bubbling for a day now, and I am excited! This is fun!

The Kootenays have a history of orchards going back to the early 1900s. I read in a history book that the market couldn't compete with the nearby okanagan due to the late spring and later ripening. There are still some really old trees around, probably from the 1950s. Not many orchards remain, but many houses have a tree or two.

I sourced four different apple varieties from my neighbourhood. They were a good mix of sweet and sour. The juice turned out decent, but perhaps lacking in acidity.

I wanted to get started without buying much equipment. I have seen a car jack used for a press, but never under the car! I shredded the apples in a food processor, squeezed out the easy juice and wrapped pulp in cheesecloth. This was sandwiched between two trays and squished with the car jack. It took some time to adjust the angles, but not too hard to figure out. No engineering degree needed.

From here, I want to see what flavours develop, and possibly add tannin or yeast nutrient. Are they okay to add later if needed?

I've been reading a lot of posts here, and want to thank you for all the information.

image.jpg

I've done a similar thing pressing against the drawbar of a tractor when I started out. If you do some research you will see there are better ways of doing it by making a homemade press. Still, you have made a good start.

A standard store bought juicer works really well. The stopping to remove the pulp is kind of a hassle, but some can be added back in to add character to the juice when fermenting. Good luck and keep us posted.

A standard store bought juicer works really well. The stopping to remove the pulp is kind of a hassle,

I agree 100%. This is my first season making hard cider and I've just finished juicing my 9th gallon using an Omega model #1000 centrifugal juicer. I purchased it years ago and today a new one will run around $200. I've seen pre-owned on eBay for much less. I've found using the filters (purchased separately) makes pulp/pumice removal much easier. I go through 1-2 filters per gallon (cost about 10 cents per) and can juice a gallon of segmented apples (core removed) in about 30 to 45 minutes. The process is admittedly labor intensive but well worth the effort. Good luck.

I've done a similar thing pressing against the drawbar of a tractor when I started out.

I'm happy to see I'm not to only one who had this crazy idea. Juicing would be a much better alternative. It was carnage in the kitchen! Still, making cider with fresh juice is a curiosity. Now I'm curious how store bought juice performs.

On the third day, I could just barely detect a sulphur aroma, so I added 1/4 tsp DAP one day, and 1/4 tsp the next day. All seems well now. The smell is more in line with what i expected.

I put airlocks on right away and had a bit of trouble with overflow. I must have overlooked reading about blow off tubes. Next time! The jugs are still full up to the lowest part of the bottle neck. I was planning on topping up once I rack.

I didn't get a gravity tester until the third day. I don't know where it started from, but on day three, it was at 1.045. Any idea how much it changed?

There was a radio interview with a bartender who made something called a Small Town Sour. He said it was a mix of bourbon and baking spices. I made some with two parts bourbon, one part honey, cinnamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg. Soak the spices for a week, and strain. I like how the honey balances the alcohol, and sweetens the drink at the same time. It's amazing addition to lemonade and eggnog. One day, I am going to mix some of this into a frosty mug of cider!

but on day three, it was at 1.045. Any idea how much it changed?

My freshly juiced cider typically measures 1.052 although late season (just this week) I've juiced a few gallons that measured almost 1.06. AT 1.045 it appears you have some way to go, if I'm understanding the process correctly (I'm a newbie). Good luck.

By the way, any links to photos or threads discussing or depicting home-made presses using a tractor bucket, draw bar, etc. would be appreciated.

I have been enjoying this cider I made last year. It has transformed into surprisingly pleasant drink. I added 5ml apple juice concentrate to each 500ml swing top bottle for the fizz during bottling. I add more concentrate to the glass when drinking it to get the desired sweetness.

IMG_2795.jpg

Great picture, we have been looking for a 3 point carry all for our orchard, did you guys build that one or buy it?

press01.JPG

DSCN2021.JPG

No photos of the tractor draw bar press but this is my next couple of efforts. I now use a hydropress with a water bladder.

I bought that carry - all, made in Australia for about $800 from memory. very useful in the orchard and vineyard.

THinking about getting a 3 point hitch forklift and then build a box for it. I have seen people running a belt on a tractor to crush apples, I always thought the exhaust has to be adding something nasty to the juice. WVMJ

I think it would be possible to run a hydraulic cylinder from tractor hydraulics to make an apple press, but you would have to have the engine running.I think a cheap electric motor is better for a scratter.
I have thought of getting a forklift attachment, or buying a cheap used forklift or a pallet jack. Most wineries use forklifts a lot.

Latest posts

Back