Caps not sitting correctly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm not going to the garage so you'll have to work with me here until tomorrow.

I just got a bench capper, and I am using it for the first time with the same caps and more-or-less the same bottles I've always used (or at least the same type/size).

It seemed to go okay, still a little confused on the appropriate height. Upon inspection I noticed more than once that the ridges that cover the diameter of the cap are raised on one side after capping. I popped it off, seemed on there good enough, tried again and same issue.

Then I switched to my hand capper (the winged style) and I had a very similar issue on a few bottles. I will have to go through and see exactly which, but I know at least one of them was a shorter stubby one.

It created a seal though, so maybe it's okay?

I then bottled three 22oz bombers, and had similar issues with one being a bit extreme. I indented the cap (too much pressure), but it made a seal. More conspicuous is that on that one none of the little ridges closed around the cap...

Any ideas as to what is going on?

EDIT: Pics uploaded

Bomber
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180329083255839_COVER.jpg

Stubby
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180329083322098_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the bottle sizes and capper size are disagreeing. Stubbies are always an issue, as are many bombers. However, if you're making a seal, I say leave em for now and try to weed out the 'bad' bottles next time around. For that matter, I once capped a Bold Rock twist-top bottle with my wing capper, and it was just fine. Looked a little silly, but it was sealed up tight and was well-enjoyed by my homebrew club.

I always have 4-6 bottles that the don't seal properly in each batch. Usually its stubbies but Pilsner Urquell bottles are the very worst.

Stubbies with a shorter lip, like Lagunitas, are always trouble. Stubbies with a more normal lip, like Sierra Nevada, are usually fine. Pilsner Urquell and Stella bottles are basically impossible.

This is the top of the bomber, and as you can see none of the ridges folded over.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180329083255839_COVER.jpg

This is the stubby, and while most of the ridges folded over you can see a section didn't (see left area).
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180329083322098_COVER.jpg

Doesn't look like they are crimped completely. Is the bell on the capper pressing down all the way? Sometimes the bell sticks a little. Try lubricating it by spraying a little water up inside the bell every couple caps.

Doesn't look like they are crimped completely. Is the bell on the capper pressing down all the way? Sometimes the bell sticks a little. Try lubricating it by spraying a little water up inside the bell every couple caps.

I would have assumed it was because the indents on the top-mid of the caps. I'll pop it, lube, and do it again and see what happens. First, got some errands to do...will report later.

Measure the tops of the bottles with high-quality calipers to check for the correct size. I know that the bottles with the short head suck for capping with the hand capper (second picture). I never use those bottles anymore.

Back