Capping 25oz Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
A friend of mine has been giving me his empty 25oz bottles (left over Trillium) so I was looking forward to using these (less bottles to fill the better). Unfortunately my old trusty red wing capper doesn't work with these. If anyone is bottling in 25oz bottles be curious what you are using to cap them. I've had the same red wing capper for 20 years so maybe time for an upgrade anyways :) Thanks.

You probably need to swap the bell out of the capper with one that fits the bottles. IIRC it's a 29mm one... On the red wing cappers the bell unscrews. And you also pull the metal plates out and reverse them if the bottle has a thicker neck.

B100257-2.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQX0NBX8uY[/ame]

Make sure to mark which bell is which with a sharpie, and which side is which on the plates.

Were the original bottles corked or capped? I know there is a larger cap, I think I bought some at one time. Not sure I ever used them.

You probably need to swap the bell out of the capper with one that fits the bottles. IIRC it's a 29mm one... On the red wing cappers the bell unscrews. And you also pull the metal plates out and reverse them if the bottle has a thicker neck.

B100257-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQX0NBX8uY

Make sure to mark which bell is which with a sharpie, and which side is which on the plates.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try this as I have access to a ton of 25's.

Revvy mentioned a couple of fixes. I am not familiar with those bottles but there are a lot of different bottles out there. Take a bottle and place an unused cap on thw top. If it looks like it fits then the capping bell is fine. If it lookes like it is too small then you will have to get bigger caps and a new bell for your capper.

Some bottles will take normal caps but the glass in the neck is very thick and the metal jaws have to be switched to the larger size. They just pull out and can be reversed to the bigger size. I have a lot of Belgian style bottles that take normal caps but need to have the jaws set to the large size.

Good luck. It is great that you have a good source of bottles.

Latest posts

Back