Capping 11.2 Oz Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clingy

Reaction score
Don't hesitate to tell me how dumb of a question this is, but I couldn't find a direct answer and didn't want to be caught unprepared on bottling day.

Can regular caps bought at LBHS be capped onto European 11.2 oz bottles without issue?

They seem similar enough to my 12 oz bottles, albeit with a thicker lip. I'm assuming my capper would just squeeze the edges to fit that bottle too. Would love to hear if anyone has already tried this and if they were successful.

I have never tried this. This isn't the best answer, but if you have extra caps try filling one bottle with water and try sealing it. Turn it upside down/shake it a bit and see if there is a tight fit

I have never tried this. This isn't the best answer, but if you have extra caps try filling one bottle with water and try sealing it. Turn it upside down/shake it a bit and see if there is a tight fit

Yah I will definitely have to try this if I don't get an answer, hafta make sure I have enough caps first! Thanks!

I'm 99.9% sure that I have used 11.2 oz bottles with no problem. I know for certain that I used some Straffe Hendrik bottles for my last bottling effort and I believe they are 11.2 oz each.

Don't hesitate to tell me how dumb of a question this is, but I couldn't find a direct answer and didn't want to be caught unprepared on bottling day.

Can regular caps bought at LBHS be capped onto European 11.2 oz bottles without issue?

They seem similar enough to my 12 oz bottles, albeit with a thicker lip. I'm assuming my capper would just squeeze the edges to fit that bottle too. Would love to hear if anyone has already tried this and if they were successful.

I use 11.2 oz, 12 oz and 16.9 oz bottles with my belgian dark strong ales. I use the same caps for each. No problems what so ever.

If/when you use the 750 ml crown bottles, you will need the larger caps, which should be available at your LHBS.

I use 11.2 oz, 12 oz and 16.9 oz bottles with my belgian dark strong ales. I use the same caps for each. No problems what so ever.

If/when you use the 750 ml crown bottles, you will need the larger caps, which should be available at your LHBS.
Sweet thanks! Question answered

theres a couple random heavy cork/cage 750ml bottles that have the standard small cap size

Most of the bottles I use are Warsteiner 11.2 oz. They work great with normal caps.

Matter of fact, the only bottles I've had bad seals on were 12 oz. ones that had a shorter collar/barrel/part that sticks out on top (not sure of the term). I use the super-basic wing capper.

I say go for it.

Wing cappers grab the roughly 1/2" lip at the top of the neck, and "smoosh" the cap down on the bottle. If that lip is too short, like on some "stubby" bottles, a wing capper won't work.

A bench capper will cap bottles regardless of the lip height, because it doesn't grab that lip for leverage.

That's really all you need to know about capping bottles, other than the cap size. Regular bottles take 26mm, the big belgian bottles take 29mm, and require a special, larger, bell for your capper.

There are two sizes for the caps. Some will take the regular caps, some the larger caps.

The thing nobody has mentioned yet is if you are capping heavy Belgian bottles with a wing cappr, you have to flip the metal plate that grabs the lip around to the larger size so it does not crush the neck.

Some bottles like Orval bottles take the regular size caps and the nexks are not thick, so your regular set up will work just fine. Chimay bottles take regular caps but the necks are thicker so the plates have to be repositioned to the thicker size.

Back