Cantaloupe-Wheat 1 Gal. Experiment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puertobrewing

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers! I recently made a 1 gallon batch (actually more like 0.80 gal.) of an experimental brew which consisted of:

1 lb. Bavarian Wheat LME
Juice of 1 whole cantaloupe (processed with water in the blender and then squeezed through a very fine mesh)
0.30 oz. Vanguard whole leaf @ Flame-in (+ or - like FWH)
1 pinch Irish Moss
Water to reach a 1 gallon boil volume
California Ale WLP001

After adding water and boiling for 30 minutes I ended with about 0.80 gallons of 1.062 OG wort. Ice bathed the thing, put it in a 1 gal. sanitized glass carboy, and threw in the yeast @ 65ºF. At that same temperature, fermentation took place for about 2 weeks with a krausen that lasted almost the whole two weeks, and a constant but not too aggressive airlock activity. Passed to secondary for one week until no airlock activity was present. Final Gravity ended in 1.018 for a more or less 5.8% ABV brew. Primed with a blend of honey, sucrose and DME for 3.2 volumes of CO2.

I was pleased with the results though I don't understand them completely. I wasn't particularly interested in cantaloupe aroma or taste, just wanted to see what happened. It smells almost dead-on like caramel apple and it tastes pleasantly sweet, with burnt sugar notes and, wait for it... a bit of sourness on the background. I'm 99% sure the slight sourness isn't due to contamination, so here are my questions:
Might the sourness come from the fact that most of the fermented sugars came from the cantaloupe and the wheat LME, with no barley in the mix?
From what else could the sourness have come?
Do brews where fruit juice is boiled tend to taste tangy?

I know most experiments can't be understood from performing them just one time but since there are many people here that know way much more than I do, I wanted to ask. The reason I boiled the cantaloupe juice was to get rid of bugs but I knew I would get some caramelization, darken the color, and would lose the taste and aroma characteristics of the fruit. Is there any other way to pasteurize at home without boiling?

By the way, the color is kind of red, which is weird considering no specialty grains were used and that the cantaloupe juice was a pale orange color (like the fruit itself). I understand the boil gave it that color but nonetheless I wasn't expecting such a dark color. Thanks in advance for your comments!

wheataloupe-63764.jpg

Wheat LME isn't made from pure wheat malt...it's usually made from a blend of barley and wheat malt. Is it caramel apple as in caramel plus green apple? If so that could be the source of sourness. Acetaldehyde can taste like green apples and like acetic cider when it's oxidized.

Wheat LME isn't made from pure wheat malt...it's usually made from a blend of barley and wheat malt. Is it caramel apple as in caramel plus green apple? If so that could be the source of sourness. Acetaldehyde can taste like green apples and like acetic cider when it's oxidized.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did know about the wheat LME having barley but have never used wheat LME alone up to this time, so I thought maybe it had to do with something.

The light sourness (emphasis on light) can be reminiscent of green apple, but I don't get green apple in the aroma. So you think it is acetaldehyde? What would shock me about this is that I've read that oxidation can start to be noticed in a beer a couple of months after the beer was exposed fatally to oxygen. Since it's a small batch, I went careless oxidation-wise while bottling because of that belief, taking into account the brew wouldn't last too long. But in my case, I got the taste even from a hydrometer sample I took while racking to secondary.

I bet you're right on acetaldehyde, but I think it happened for racking to secondary too soon instead of because oxidation. As I mentioned, the krausen lasted for too long... that's why I don't brew barleywine... not good at waiting. As for sulfites, unfortunately I'm allergic. But I think I'll do this experiment once again changing a couple of things to see if I get better results. Thanks again!

Wow! That song was somewhere in my subconscious :ban: Why don't I have it in my playlist?!?!?! Hahaha But seriously I love that song and had forgotten about it! Opening iTunes...

Back