Can't Get a Good Seal on a FerMonster Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried and tried. Initially used the gasket in the lid. No go.

Then, I tried cleaned and sanitized "Cling Wrap" around the mouth of the FerMonster with a hole in the middle (for the rubber gasket). Still no go.

Lastly, I tried cleaned and sanitized "Cling Wrap" around the rubber stopped that goes into the lid hole (in addition to the "Cling Wrap" around the mouth). No go.

By "no go" I mean I see swirling fermentation in the carboy, but no bubbles in the airlock. This tells me the fermentation gasses are somehow escaping.

Suggestions/thoughts?

The gasket is the problem. You may have tightened it too tight and gotten a kink in it. I spin the lid down until the gasket barely makes contact, then tighten less than 1/4 inch further.

The gasket is the problem. You may have tightened it too tight and gotten a kink in it. I spin the lid down until the gasket barely makes contact, then tighten less than 1/4 inch further.

I do the same thing with mine and have success.

From what I understand, they changed the design of their lids because people were having this issue. How old is your carboy?

I had the same problem with the FastFerment that uses a big screw top and a silicone O-ring. Try lightly coating the O-ring in keg lube and then tighten it just snug. Letting it slip a bit when tightening helps.

I'll +1 to the above, don't overtighten the lid. Mine get screwed down just enough to be snug. Also for some reason it takes about 3-4 tries to get the lid to seat correctly on the threads, just need to be slow and patient.

Also, make sure the rubber stopper is totally dry and the bung opening is also dry. I dry it off with a paper towel before inserting. Especially important if you use a silicone stopper.

I had similar issues and ordered replacement lids and gaskets. One trick I do now is that when I get a good seal I keep that lid with that fermenter (I’ve got a handful of them) and I don’t remove the bung / airlock from lid either now. I just wash then sanitize it together so I know the fit between everything is solid.

Back