Can't decide between..... (recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
My next brew will be my first recipe creation. I've created a recipe for an American IPA and Bavarian/American crossbreed wheat. Which one should I pull the trigger on?

+1 on the IPA. Any chance we can get a sneak peek at the recipe?

Oh I have the 2nd rig, but it is tied up. Here is my thoughts:

5 gallon batch - full boil

Steep:

8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Crystal 75
8.0 oz Carastan

2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract

1.00 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Summit [15.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Willamette [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Summit [15.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [4.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] fermented @ 65*

Est Original Gravity: 1.062
Est Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1%
Bitterness: 53.8 IBUs
Est Color: 11.3 SRM

I always find LME to make the beer much darker than is calculated in the various softwares out there, especially with a full boil, but I think the recipe looks solid. I'd only change the LME and use just 8 lbs. of extra light DME.

I think doing a late extract addition with the LME will help keep the color lighter. But if you do go with all DME make sure to do the conversion from LME otherwise your gravity will be higher than in your recipe. Good luck!

Maybe I will cut the LME to 3# and fill the balance with DME to get to my target gravity.

I don't want to eliminate the LME completely. There is just something that the pale adds that all extra light doesn't. I can live with a shade darker. I will just add it late.

Dont forget to adjust your hops if you do a late addition. Your beer program should help you out with this, but your IBU's will be higher if you do a late addition vs a 60 minute boil.

Back