Irish Red Ale Can't Be Arsed Session Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY 1084
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 min, 10 min mash out
IBU
Color
27.7 EBC
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @64
Tasting Notes
An Irish Red you can just keep on drinking. Smooth, clean and a bit roasty.
A perfect easy beer for St. Patty's Day when you just want to sit there and drink one after another and not be arsed to do anything else. Hard to stop at one. Enjoy!

9 lbs Maris Otter 90%
0.3 lb Crystal 40 3%
0.3 lb Crystal 120 3%
0.2 lb Roast Barley (500L) 2%
0.2 lb Acidulated Malt 2%

1.25 oz EKG @ 60

Mash at 149 for 60 min.

RO Water with 3/4 tsp. of Calcium Chloride.

IMG_1115.JPG

Last edited:
I'm assuming that Irish ale yeast will be good for this? Or an American type?

I plan on a couple more red ales this year and this looks very doable.

I'm assuming that Irish ale yeast will be good for this? Or an American type?

I plan on a couple more red ales this year and this looks very doable.

I use and recommend WY 1084. I love that yeast, not sure how an American yeast would be, but I have no intention of changing this recipe to find out.

Last edited:
I've brewed this recipe twice, and it went over well both times. With my most recent batch, i found myself needing a keg for another beer, so we bottled up about a case and a half. I think I like this beer after we bottled it even better than i did on tap! Can't say that has happened often! But the caramel notes and slight roast are really shining from the bottle. Go figure - anyway thanks for a fine simple and tasty brew

I've brewed this recipe twice, and it went over well both times. With my most recent batch, i found myself needing a keg for another beer, so we bottled up about a case and a half. I think I like this beer after we bottled it even better than i did on tap! Can't say that has happened often! But the caramel notes and slight roast are really shining from the bottle. Go figure - anyway thanks for a fine simple and tasty brew
Glad to hear it turned out well! It's about time to brew this again!

Back