Can you use a Racking Adapter and Valve with a 5 Gallon Water Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongob

Reaction score
Just to explain my situation, I am temporarily living in the Bahamas and have established to my delight that brewing here shouldn't be a problem. I have been reading through plenty of posts regarding the plastic water bottle vs Better Bottle debate and if my circumstances were different I would probably go for the Better Bottle option primarily because they seem sturdier and include a racking adapter and valve which means no siphoning which I love the idea of. However given I will only be here for a few months I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of buying lots of expensive equipment which I'll have to pay import duty on anyway so want to save money where I can but not compromise too much. So my question really is has anyone here managed to use a racking adapter and valve with a plastic water bottle? Also do standard airlocks usually fit the hole at the top? FYI it's a 5 gallon PET 1 bottle, thanks! :mug::mug:

I think I've pretty much answered the first question myself as seems it would be a hassle to fit a valve so an auto siphon should be fine. Happy to hear opinions though.

Back