Can You Pasteurize Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoritzasu

Reaction score
All,

I brewed a pumpkin milk stout, racked to secondary with pumpkin after four weeks, let it sit for two weeks, and bottled last week. Well looking at the bottles I'm starting to notice what appears to be a pellicle forming in the bottle.

I did not use Brett for my fermentation, so I suspect it was introduced during racking or bottling. Since this is a milk stout, I bottled at 1.024, which is more than enough for the Brett to create some bombs.

My question is, can I pasteurize these bottles? I've read the post about cider pasteurization (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/), and was wondering if this would work for my problem. Has anyone pasteurized a Brett infection before? Thanks for the help.

Offhand, I'm not entirely sure what the effect would be on the beer; cider chemistry is a bit different from beer chemistry. This might create a lot of DME, which would make your beer taste an awful lot like corn, but I'm not sure.

Yes you can pasteurize in the same manner as for cider. I don't have similar experience with beer to know if there is a higher flavor impact. But it will kill the brett.

Edit: after reading the link I'd suggest the lower temp (180) just in case. And maybe try it on just a couple bottles first and taste them.

Back