Can you mill oatmeal flakes with the grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryh357

Reaction score
I bought a kit from Northern Brewer for oatmeal stout. They sent everything in a bag, not milled. I have a mill, but have never milled oatmeal flakes for a recipe.

WTF??

You can run any flaked grains through a mill with your barley, nbd.
The flakes will pretty much pass right through.
I would not try conditioning the combined grains, though. Run them through dry...

Cheers!

Just add some rice hulls if you are worried about a stuck mash. I’ve milled them in the passed but once every other home brewer said you don’t need too I stopped.

I mill small kernel grain (wheat, rye) together with all flaked goods separately on a narrower (0.025") gap than barley (0.034").
Oat malt and Golden Naked Oats (neither the same as raw flaked oats) even narrower, around 0.018".

Although you may not need to mill flaked goods, I've always done it since having my own mill. It must hydrate faster and more completely that way.

I ran a kit with flaked oats through my mill yesterday with out issue. The grain was pre crushed and all mixed together. I just needed to get a finer crush for my system.

I bought a kit from Northern Brewer for oatmeal stout. They sent everything in a bag, not milled.
You could contact them and complain about them being unmilled. They may send you another bag of grain, milled this time. ;)
2 for 1.

Back