Can you make a beer with multiple primary fermentations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still pretty new to this, but I couldn't find any information on this idea I had. I noticed that different strains of yeast have different alcohol tolerances. So I was wondering if this has this been done before.

Could you make a beer with a very high OG and use yeast that has a low alcohol tolerance. So when that % alcohol is reached, move the beer to a different carboy. Then add new yeast, that have a higher tolerance, and would essentially take over from there like a 2nd primary fermentation.

Then flavors from different yeast could be mixed?

Just curious. Thanks! :ban:
-Mike

Not to high jack your thread but,I just made a 1 gallon batch of a 15 percent alcohol beer and I am very curious to see what people say about this. I am pretty sure my initial pitch of WLP 001 is going to give out before it is done fermenting.

You'll have issues with that unless you use starters for each additional yeast use, getting it acclimated to the ABV of the wort that you'll be fermenting. I think you'd be better off using a high ABV tolerant yeast initially to get as far as possible. Then IF you still have fermentable sugars left, make a starter and pitch an even higher tolerant yeast in.

IMO, to try and get much past 12% ABV in a big brew, it takes a lot of work, and time. IF you're going to tackle something like this, I would either do small batches at first, or go for lower ABV levels. Maybe use a yeast that can only go to 8%, stepping into one that can go to 12%. You WILL need to make sure there's enough fermentable sugars in the wort though. Which could prove to be a challenge. Well, depending on if you're brewing extract, partial mash, or all grain...

Another option would be to use a high ABV tolerant yeast, that has the characteristics you want, making sure you leave plenty of fermentable sugars in the wort, and finishing with a neutral champagne yeast.

You could, also, try pitching a butt-load of yeast, and making sure you align the stars perfectly to push it beyond it's designated limit... I don't see that as something someone new to home brewing would want to go into though. At least not unless it's a small batch (like the previously noted 1 gallon batch)...

BTW, don't expect to get really high ABV fermentations to finish quickly. Plan for it to take at least a couple of months. If it finishes sooner, great, just don't count on it. Also, brews THAT hot typically need time to age/mellow to remove the high alcohol flavor. Plan a solid year from grain to glass... You could need even more time for it to become a GREAT brew. Not to say it won't be 'good' in a shorter amount of time, just be prepared for it to need time to become a thing of greatness.

I've had luck with incremental feedings. I got one to almost 18% by making a 1.060 wort, then adding slightly dilute extract plus O2 plus yeast in three extra feedings the week following the original brew day. FG still came out around 1.030-1.040, but it was a good one. Cost a ton of money though with all the extract, and a ton of time too.

For the record, my first yeast was US-05. Then I used EC-1118. And for my grand finale I tried the WLP099.

It can be done. I read that some whisky makers use two yeasts when they ferment, one to get it going quickly, and then one to produce as much alcohol as possible. It would be interesting to match the yeasts to mix.

I've had luck with incremental feedings. I got one to almost 18% by making a 1.060 wort, then adding slightly dilute extract plus O2 plus yeast in three extra feedings the week following the original brew day. FG still came out around 1.030-1.040, but it was a good one. Cost a ton of money though with all the extract, and a ton of time too.

For the record, my first yeast was US-05. Then I used EC-1118. And for my grand finale I tried the WLP099.

Did you take some of the wort and freeze it to do this? Or Just put it in an air tight container?

Back