Can You lower ph post-fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
My friend just brewer his first batch, a milk stout, and didn’t adjust his mash ph. Tasting it, it definitely has a bitter bite to it, and the water he used says the ph is at 6.0. Are you able to add some gypsum (with proper preparation of course) post-fermentation to lower the ph or will that give any form of off flavors at this point? Is it even worth it at this point?

Where is it at in the brewing process (fermenting? packaged?)? At what point in the process did you taste it?

Also: water pH and mash pH are different measurements.
Active fermentation ended about 24 hours ago, but I have not had him check gravity yet to see how far it has before it hits terminal. I tasted it mid fermentation (about 48 hours ago).

Thanks. That is helpful.

You mentioned that this is the first batch for your friend. I'll suggest that you continue to taste the beer at various steps along the way (and take good notes). I'll also suggest that you not make adjustments at this time - wait until a couple of weeks after packaging to do an initial "review" of the beer. (update, see reply #6).

Last edited:
Thanks. That is helpful.

You mentioned that this is the first batch for your friend. I'll suggest that you continue to taste the beer at various steps along the way (and take good notes). I'll also suggest that you not make adjustments at this time - wait until a couple of weeks after packaging to do an initial "review" of the beer.
Thank you, that’s kinda what I had in mind as well, more of a pack-and-pray situation. I just don’t want his first batch to come out bad and discourage him from the hobby, ya know? I’ll keep monitoring it and see where it goes. Thank you!

Yes, beer pH can be adjusted up or down after fermentation. I’ve acidified beers that don’t seem crisp enough to me. You can also add chalk to beverages that are too tart or sharp.

In the case of a stout, I’d anticipate that it came out too acidic and probably needs a dose of chalk to moderate that. It’s all done by trial and error and taste.

Back