Can you ferment ales in a compact fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see on my peltier fridge right behind me, a 55W rating (its smaller than the nucool). I was under the impression this was more efficient than a compressor model. I dont see any flaws in your math, other than perhaps it runs at lower than 50%.

Ha, I believe that's called "marketing". ;) Peliter coolers aren't horribly inefficient at low temperature differentials (e.g., 5 - 10F). But, that's NOT what we're discussing here.

From Wikipedia:

Thermoelectric junctions are generally only around 5–10% as efficient as the ideal refrigerator (Carnot cycle), compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression cycle systems (reverse Rankine systems like a compressor).​

I have wondered about the efficiency as well. I think the electric cost will be pretty small because I will probably have it set at 62-70 degrees (no lagers). This only represents a 15 degree difference at most, even in the heat of the summer.

I think this will be easier than checking the temp of my carboy 4-5 times a day and adding ice bottles. Just put it in the fridge and forget it for a couple of weeks (of course I will still watch the carboy...that's just good clean fun!).

I could definitly be wrong...I am way outside of my wheelhouse.

Eric

Back