Can You Bottle From a Corny W/Out a Beer Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so far over my "hobby" spending limit, my SWMBO isn't speaking to me. (Wait till she tastes the rasberry wheat I'm conditioning for her :) )

So, I have invested in a Sanyo and work begins this weekend. Question:

Is a beer gun absolutely essential for moving beer out of a keg and into some bottles. I like to show up with some homebrew in-hand when I go visit friends. (Not so much because they love it as I can't stand to drink the factory swill in their fridge).

Anyway, I'd sure love to be able to fill a six pack of bottles without having to invest in a beer gun just yet...c'mon Fathers Day... :D

Can it be done?

I've recently tried just pouring beer from the tap into a bottle and capping it and the pressure does not hold. However there is another option: Carbonator caps. They fit onto a 20oz bottle and basically have a ball lock fitting to be filled from your keg.

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18250

I personally have never used one, but the theory seems sound.

I have poured beer from a corny into bottles with good results. So far a week has gone by and the bottles seem to have retained carb.

I just lowered the pressure on the keg (1-5psi) just enough to let the beer come out of the hose (no valve at all)

I am going to set up a counter pressure filler, it seems that purging w/ co2 will help also.

Here's a real cheap way to fill from a keg. Designed by Ken Schwartz. Folks have used it with and without the purge valve with success.

PMCPBF.jpg

I just fill a cold growler for club meetings and don't worry about carbonation. That doesn't work for some styles.

I've filled growlers berfore from the tap using vinyl tubing and it was fine 2 weeks later. Just turn the pressure way down to avoid a foamy mess!!

I just set my regulator to 1 psi and slowly fill the bottle with a cobra tap making sure the edge of the tap and the bottle are always touching. It takes about 45 seconds to one minute to fill each bottle but I have literally no foam when I'm done. Just a few bubbles on top. I have some in the fridge that I bottled this way close to two months ago and they are still just as fresh and carbonated as they were when I bottled them. I am aware that some carbonation is lost in the process but it is so minimal that I can't tell the difference.

I'm sure if I bottled more than I do I would spend the money on a beer gun or another alternative but I have been very happy with the results following this method.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Brian

Latest posts

Back