Can you add gelatin finings to the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I'd like to add some gelatin finings to clear up a strong bitter I brewed two weeks ago, but I'm not sure I will be able to do a full rack to secondary over the next three weeks. (No time, and heading out of town for Thanksgiving.) Can I nevertheless prepare gelatin finings and then add them (gently) to the primary? If so, any preferred technique?

shouldn't take that long to rack it...put the gelatin in the secondary and rack the beer over it. Thats what I would do if I was gonna use gelatin.... however I sprinkled some gelatin over a carboy full of wine once ( before I read the right way to do it) the wine cleared amazingly fast.

Yes, as long as you don't plan on reusing the yeast you can add it to the primary.

however I sprinkled some gelatin over a carboy full of wine once ( before I read the right way to do it) the wine cleared amazingly fast.

Really? Just opened the pack and sprinkled some on top? Was the wine cold or room temp?

That's very interesting.

Yes, as long as you don't plan on reusing the yeast you can add it to the primary.

Really? Just opened the pack and sprinkled some on top? Was the wine cold or room temp?

That's very interesting.

yep..opened the bottle and took out a pinch in my fingers ( gallon glass carboy) and sprinkled it in. posted about it on here I think. oh yeah...room temp

crazy. I just took a sample of a beer that hasn't cleared yet and sprinkled some gelatin on it and put it in the same freezer as my kegs. I'll check on it tomorrow.

pretty gross. i think i put a little too much in. definately didn't look like something I wanted to drink. I've used gelatin before, but at very cold temps. I'll probably stick with that method.

Good to know for those of us considering using gelatin for the first time. Thanks for the response.

Latest posts

Back