Can we stop using Pop Psychology to define our brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could only get through the first 10 or so replies, but I'm going to go ahead and assume everyone's being trolled at this point. Please feel free to let me know if this has evolved into a meaningful or interesting discussion since that point.

Actually I will wager many people brew in the bath tub, inside fermenters. I do understand the idea of using a bathtub as fermenter is what they meant but I will say that is a fairly accurate statement for some of our community.

Then we agree.

We disagree. It would not be as far of a stretch as the 1st quote did, to say that an "anal brewer" ferments in the bathroom because that is what is covering the outside of the fermenters. I hate to point this out but most people keep their toothbrush in a cabinet in the bathroom because if you do not then you may as well brush your teeth in the toilet bowl. Every time that thing is flushed it sends an explosion of fecal matter into the air to cover everything.

*gross

Which is why you never take a beverage into the bathroom, that magical cabinet probably won't save you.

Louis CK has a funny skit where he rips people using overly expressive words for trivial things. This whole thread really is strange. Is olllllllo drunk?

I'm not drinking yet, but I just did have a discussion about gastropubs. My friend took issue as he associates that term with gastroenteritis whereas I feel that it is an overblown restaurant term. Most "gastropubs" are more restaurant then pub. Want to know the difference?

If you can walk away from your table mid meal and play darts, it's a pub. If the staff freaks out because you decide to hang out after you eat and open up a newspaper, it's a restaurant.

Can we discuss, then... say without all of the psychology baggage, that the lay term anal is a bit imprecise and misleading.

Don't we ask that people do more than is really required when we say, "you have to be anal about sanitation." You're asking people to go overboard.

No, I say. You have to be thorough.

You never hear someone say, "you have to be anal about boiling. Boil it and then boil it again." or "you have to really be anal about milling" because at some point overdoing it has a bad effect.

Are you more concerned about anal in conjunction with sanitization?

I know people that are anal, errrrrr, overly thorough with other parts of brewing (pre-boil volume, gravities, water pH, etc.), but you keep returning to sanitization.

Maybe it's the subconscious recognition of the combination of "anal" and "sanitization" used together that is the core of this discussion?

Can we discuss, then... say without all of the psychology baggage, that the lay term anal is a bit imprecise and misleading.

Don't we ask that people do more than is really required when we say, "you have to be anal about sanitation." You're asking people to go overboard.

No, I say. You have to be thorough.

You never hear someone say, "you have to be anal about boiling. Boil it and then boil it again." or "you have to really be anal about milling" because at some point overdoing it has a bad effect.

ya know, i really never use the term, but i see where you're coming from. i think i'm more likely to say 'meticulous' or 'have a strict sanitation regimen'. i think when talking about cleaning, using the term 'anal' is sort of a silly thing. almost an oxymoron in sentence form. but i have been known to use the term to describe someone overdoing something.

The topic of this thread has narrowed a bit. On page two you seemed concerned about our words giving people a negative impression of our hobby. Are you not bothered by "obsessed" and "addicted" now?

It sounds to me like you just had a few things twist your nips a little too far today and that the topic of this thread was more like the last quarter turn that drew blood.

In any case, this thread is kind of pointless because even if everyone participating in this thread agreed with you, the other thousands of members would probably still use whatever slang they felt like...

The topic of this thread has narrowed a bit. On page two you seemed concerned about our words giving people a negative impression of our hobby. Are you not bothered by "obsessed" and "addicted" now?

It sounds to me like you just had a few things twist your nips a little too far today and that the topic of this thread was more like the last quarter turn that drew blood.

In any case, this thread is kind of pointless because even if everyone participating in this thread agreed with you, the other thousands of members would probably still use whatever slang they felt like...

I have a problem with that phrase. Are we really twisting nips here? I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

Wow. Nine pages? Really?

.. On page two ..

Page number is meaningless. You can set your posts per page here.

1519d1177012634-newish-features-hbt-feature2.jpg

Do it twice if you are anal.

If language wasn't suppose to change we would all be speaking latin right now...in about 500 years, Europe went from latin to the 4 main romance languages (French, Italian, English, Spanish)

Is that a travesty to latin?
This is a good point, but English is a Germanic language. It's true that we have lexical borrowings from Latin languages, but the language itself is certainly not Latin based.

:mug:

wow - I made the mistake of actually reading some of this thread...5 minutes of my life I'll never get back, sheeeesh!

This thread is one of the funniest ever!! Is it exact word day? Does it really matter if someone calls them self "anal" or "obsessed"? How about if someone describes themselves as a "hophead". These are descriptive terms that we all "get" but we don't take them literally.....at least most of us.:rolleyes:

I agree that it has in this community, but not everywhere. It's also about context.

FYI, when I was in medical school, the terms 'anal' and 'obsessed' were used colloquially, the exact ways they are being used here, all the time. If someone uses a term, people can generally tell from context what is meant. A passionate brewer calling himself obsessed isn't incorrect; it's the proper usage in the understood context.

olllllo said:
There are plenty of neo-prohibitionists that love that we characterize our hobby as an affliction.

Oh lordy...

Tell you what. The second you can demonstrate that homebrewers' casual use of the words "obsess" and/or "anal" on internet forums is being used by "neo-prohibitionists" to make a case that this hobby is an affliction/addiction/mental illness and thus should be made or kept illegal, I'll stop using these words outside of their rigid clinical definitions.

Zamial said:
I hate to point this out but most people keep their toothbrush in a cabinet in the bathroom because if you do not then you may as well brush your teeth in the toilet bowl. Every time that thing is flushed it sends an explosion of fecal matter into the air to cover everything.

Then we have the "addicted to" saying to mess with things. I do have issues with that kind of terminology because it is certainly a want vs. a need. Addiction is based on need. This is why I do not believe one can be "addicted to video games" or "addicted to brewing" these are strong wants that can mimic need but no one is going to die if you do not get to brew within a week.

To keep up with the thread's spirit of raging pedantry...

Most people actually DO leave their toothbrushes out in the open. Although the percentage IS slowly shrinking as awareness of how unsanitary it is grows, the vast majority still leave their toothbrushes out. Me, on the other hand... I no longer even flush the toilet without first putting down not just the seat, but the lid as well.

More importantly though, your idea of addiction doesn't even come close to matching the clinical definition. Addiction is a neuropsychiatric phenomenon. It really has nothing to do with "needs", at least not in the sense of what's necessary for survival. In terms of addiction, gambling, sex, and yes, even video games, can be just as legitimate as a drug addiction.

What you're referring to is more closely aligned with the concept of *dependency*, which is when the substance (or whatever) is required constantly, or else withdrawal symptoms start to occur. You can be dependent but not addicted (often the case with patients taking certain medications), or addicted without being dependent (e.g. a heroin user who hasn't been using long enough to become physically dependent but may already be psychologically hooked). And even when talking about dependence, your definition of "needs" only applies in a small minority cases. Certain drug withdrawals can be fatal, particularly GABAergic drugs (benzodiazepenes such as Xanax, barbiturates, and even alcohol), but most are not.

I doubt you'd question the legitimacy of heroin, and yet withdrawals from heroin are *almost* never fatal (and even then, it's pretty much only indirectly causal). Sure, it's extremely unpleasant for a heroin addict to go through withdrawal, but even cold turkey there's virtually no risk of death. Nicotine addiction and dependence are certainly real (as is nicotine withdrawal), and yet your own logic disagrees, since "no one is going to die if you do not get to [smoke a cigarette] within a week."

JiltedEmu said:
I could only get through the first 10 or so replies, but I'm going to go ahead and assume everyone's being trolled at this point. Please feel free to let me know if this has evolved into a meaningful or interesting discussion since that point.

I thought the same, until a couple seconds later I saw it was a mod.

Oh wait... "couple" should only refer to an integer, and even then, only "2".

Not 3. Not 2.5. Not even 2.0000000001

2. And since it's pretty much impossible that it was *precisely* 2 seconds after, the word "couple" is totally inappropriate. I mean, people will get the wrong idea. They're simply not capable of discerning context. How could I possibly make it 2 seconds *exactly*, without it being a femtosecond more or less? People might think I'm a wizard, when CLEARLT I'm just an EAC.

Oops. There I go again. I mean, people might think I'm ACTUALLY a wo-- TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED [Reason: Top Secret Material]

olllllo said:
As much as I hate to moderate my own thread, I'm asking that you stay on topic. I present a brewing topic in the correct forum with sincerity. I think when we throw around these terms without thoughts as to their actual meaning, we denigrate the hobby.

There are plenty of neo-prohibitionists that love that we characterize our hobby as an affliction. I think the Freudian association is, well Freudian.

There is no topic. You're trolling.

I hate to point this out but most people keep their toothbrush in a cabinet in the bathroom because if you do not then you may as well brush your teeth in the toilet bowl. Every time that thing is flushed it sends an explosion of fecal matter into the air to cover everything.

Fecal coliform is on everything regardless of proximity to the toilet.

Don't you watch mythbusters?

Mrs. MalFet called me obsessed this morning when she woke up to find me disassembling our stove before dawn in hopes of automating my RIMS system.

FWIW, she's a Freudian trained psychiatrist, complete with recliner couch. For some of us, at least, the term "obsessed" might just be an accurate clinical diagnosis.

Mrs. MalFet called me obsessed this morning when she woke up to find me disassembling our stove before dawn in hopes of automating my RIMS system.

FWIW, she's a Freudian trained psychiatrist, complete with recliner couch. For some of us, at least, the term "obsessed" might just be an accurate clinical diagnosis.

Sweet, you can bang your therapist.

I'll tell you why this came up.

I was talking to someone about homebrewing and they brought out the old misconception about brewing in the bathtub, which no one does. (You could, but that's a different point.) I've heard, over the years, people claim they were anal about sanitation and I know for a fact that they ferment in the coldest room in the house. You know, the one with all the tile and porcelain. I've done it, many of us have. But there is no way in hell a so called anal brewer would and that's how I arrived on the disconnect.

OK now google anal brewer.

Cannot be unseen.

For those who missed this post....top result

Let me google that for you

I would like to point out that the 9th result is none other than the infamous "Alternative Brewing" thread.
Hadn't seen that one before. Only got to the 40th post and my eyeballs were bleeding.

What I find interesting it that I find the objection to the use of those words in such a manner, as objectionable as the OP finds their use. While I understand his point of view, I think it represents a fundamental misunderstanding of language.

By their very nature, the meaning and use of words are constantly evolving. At most, a dictionary definition is nothing more than a "snap shot" of a word and its meaning at the time that the word itself is being defined. The word itself is nothing more than a tool used to convey meaning from one person to another, and as long as the meaning is understood by the speaker and the listener, the word has been properly used. As such the identity of the speaker and the listener, as well as their relationship to one another is essential to understanding the "meaning" of the word in use.

The OP takes issue that the words being used have a basis in technical jargon. But in that case the technical definition only has meaning when the term is being used within the context of a technical discussion between members of sub group (Smaller than the whole of all speakers and listeners) to whom the technical jargon has meaning and relevance within the context of the discussion. Once the word has been released into the general public, the meaning of the word will start to evolve. While the "technical" meaning will remain for the purposes of technical discussions for the larger public the meaning and usage of the word may slowly change.

As an example (and its probably not a good one), if one carpenter say to another that they "need the wood cut down by an inch", the word "inch" has a very precise meaning defined by a standard. On the other hand, the same two people could be having a discussion about an altercation, when one says to the other, " I wouldn't back down an inch", and the context and situation change the meaning of the word "inch" from a unit of measurement to something else.

Back