can this OG be right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverSwillBeer

Reaction score
I just brewed what Im making into a bourbon oak stout. 6.6 lbs of dark extract... 1lb of Black patent and 1lb of chocolate malt. When I took the OG .. it said 1.032 ..... beersmith said it should be 1.050. WTF did I do wrong
? I steeped the grains at 154 for 45 minutes and boiled the wort for 90 minutes .... WTF??

Thanks for any enlightenment

I'm guessing you added top up water, did you mix everything extremely well in the carboy before taking the sample? That's pretty much the only explanation for extract OG being off.

You probably didn't stir well enough before taking the reading, or it was too hot and your reading was skewed somehow. With malt extract, you can't be off by that much withou a spill or something.

I did the same thing a week or so ago. I used 7 lbs. LME and 1 lb. specialty grains and came out with the same OG as you. I was advised that I most likely added too much water when topping off the carboy or I hadn't thoroughly mixed the boiled wort and water. I bought six gallons of water and used it all by the time it was all said and done. My gravity has since fallen to 1.009.

I understand yor confusion/frustration, but look at it this way: You can drink more beer and still wake up on time for work the next morning.

I knew I could count on you guys .... My guess is that your right .. I didnt mix the top off water / wort mixture well enough. It never even entered my intoxicated mind.:D
After 3 SN Bigfoots 3 Mackeson's stout a Dragons Milk and unknown amount of SN Stouts ....;)

Back