Can someone suggest a recipe from this description

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
This Double IPA is light golden in color with complex malt flavors. Dry hopped to give you bold tropical and grapefruit aroma and finish. That is what Legal remedy's double indemnity is described by them.
Its 8.6% abv and its about the same SRM as Cigar City's Jai alai. Its definitely different from Jai alai which also says its grapefruit. Now they get that flavor in Jai Alai with all hops right, not the fruit ?

Cool.
Srinath.

They also added this in other descriptions -
But we gave our lawyers the day off and while nobody was looking, we took the hops intended for two different batches and slipped them all into this IPA. Then, instead of burying the fact in some obscure clause in a contract somewhere, we’re bragging about it right here on the label. We were never fans of fine print anyway. The good news is you get twice the payout.

and srm = 7.1 and 68 IBU.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Grain wise maybe 2 row , crystal 40 some munich or vienna . Or you could bypass the crystal and go wheat and honey malt split. When I think of grapefruit I think of Summit, cascade and simcoe blend . Maybe even use a British yeast ( think I read where it gives maltiness notes)

Yea Jai alai is a known one, they've published the recipe basically, this one isn't published anywhere I can find.
OK good to know grapefruit taste comes from a hop blend, that means when I am done with it, and it still has a lot of that flavor, it does not mean it has sugar from the fruit.

Cool.
Srinath.

I'll be fermenting it dry with amg, now I did that with Double indemnity from a can, and added a dry fermenting yeast. AMG took out all the carbs, thinned out the mouth feel, essentially taking a 1.012 beer to a .996 or so. However the taste remained intact. Freeze concentrating it concentrated that taste and gave it more mouth feel, but was likely pushing 25 to as much as 35% abv at that point - so not going to drink like beer, for sure.

So lets forget the freeze step - Just making it finish under 1.00 using amg - With that being the goal, would it really matter if I used a ale yeast then did a second round with dry fermenting like ec1118 or even turbo 24 as it hit 1.01 ? Or just go with dry fermenting yeast and let it run to .996 etc ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

One more Double Indemnity batch is done. Again got to .998 or so for the cloudiest part of what I decanted out. 10gm carb and 10.5% abv - same thin feel compared to the original DI.

Cool.
Srinath.

Latest posts

Back