Can someone please recommend a digital thermometer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Wanting to make an upgrade to digital even tho my analog is doing just fine. Of course i want it to be durable and resistant to steam and water? Also, it would be handy if it was available on amazon. Also, I am curious about the thermometer with the corded probes, but feel like the best bet is to stick with the stainless steel rigid probe. Anyway, thank you in advance for advice.

Bright spot, that link is invalid.... :-(

Sorry, I should have put a monetary limit on spending....something less than 30$, I have a little one due in June so need to watch finances.

I think this is the best bang for your buck.
Fast, recalibratable, accurate and less than twenty bucks.

The top-read feature is great for easy visability while taking spot mash readings. You can move it around the tun to hit different locations without removing it.

CDN.png

I'd be interested in a faster, more accurate, durable and inexpensive thermometer as well. Nearly all of mine stink. Of the 1/2 dozen or so thermometers I own, I only trust one and that is a slow analog turkey fryer thermometer that is at least close in terms of calibration and linearity. The linearities of all my others is terrible. As a former chemist this performance frustrates me to no end.

mccabedoug said:
I'd be interested in a faster, more accurate, durable and inexpensive thermometer as well. Nearly all of mine stink. Of the 1/2 dozen or so thermometers I own, I only trust one and that is a slow analog turkey fryer thermometer that is at least close in terms of calibration and linearity. The linearities of all my others is terrible. As a former chemist this performance frustrates me to no end.

Thermoworks. I like mine a lot. As above.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I don't like that particular style is that the numbers are on the side. Many times you're looking down into a mash and measuring the temp so it's better to have them up on the top like the CDN proaccurate that I sell. I suppose the alternative is to press the hold button and pull it out to read it but the thermoworks one doesn't have a hold button either.

I know I keep saying this, but I do know CDN is coming out with a Thermapen competition model in May some time. When they do, I plan to do a huge digital thermometer accuracy shootout and make a video. My short list so far is Thermapen (which at the most expensive and highly regarded will be the reference), CDN proaccurate, new CDN folding RTD, Taylor waterproof, harbor freight $5 special and any others I can get my hands on.

The top-read feature is great for easy visability while taking spot mash readings. You can move it around the tun to hit different locations without removing it.

CDN.png

+1 on the CDN. Inexpensive, accurate, top display makes it easy. Auto turn off saves the battery as I forget while in mad brew mode! :rockin:

CDN.png

I have one of these and I bought a Thermapen. They pretty much read the same. The Thermapen is a bit faster.

I have been using this one for a year and really like it. A little pricey at $40 from Amazon. Does have a useful timer.

ForumRunner_20120413_122215.jpg

I know I keep saying this, but I do know CDN is coming out with a Thermapen competition model in May some time. When they do, I plan to do a huge digital thermometer accuracy shootout and make a video. My short list so far is Thermapen (which at the most expensive and highly regarded will be the reference), CDN proaccurate, new CDN folding RTD, Taylor waterproof, harbor freight $5 special and any others I can get my hands on.

I've a Taylor waterproof (recommended by you a few years ago, I believe) and a Thermapen.

Both measure within their margin of error when tested for me in boiling and ice bath, and the Taylor only takes a second or two longer than the Thermapen. I highly recommend the Taylor, especially if you're looking to save some coin, and don't mind a little bit longer reading time.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=wGGIT8DQNqaUiQKJ3v3nCg&ved=0CIABEPICMAM#

I went through more thermometers than i can count. I finally bought a thermapen. There's no going back. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

I have a Taylor Weekend Warrior very similar to this one (looks like they updated the look of the model just after I bought mine):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IV5VDG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Very accurate, good price, you can recalibrate it and it has a back-lit screen. After using it, I will say that I like the top-read thermometers better though as even with the back-lit screen it can be hard to read in a mash. Still, not a bad purchase at all. Just another option.

I've a Taylor waterproof (recommended by you a few years ago, I believe) and a Thermapen.

Both measure within their margin of error when tested for me in boiling and ice bath, and the Taylor only takes a second or two longer than the Thermapen. I highly recommend the Taylor, especially if you're looking to save some coin, and don't mind a little bit longer reading time.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=wGGIT8DQNqaUiQKJ3v3nCg&ved=0CIABEPICMAM#

I still have that taylor in my kitchen drawer and use it for roasts and stuff like that. The only cons when I compare it with the CDN is the smaller numbers and lack of a hold button. Other than that, they perform about the same.

People recoil from the Thermapen because of its cost. I bought one when I went AG three years ago, and have never had a moment's regret. Works great for everything- cooking, baking, etc.

I have been using this one for a year and really like it. A little pricey at $40 from Amazon. Does have a useful timer.

56846d1334337738-can-someone-please-recommend-digital-thermometer-forumrunner_20120413_122215.jpg
I have one of these in a stationary location in my MLT, but use the CDN to spot check for even temperature throughout the mash. I've had no problem submersing the OXO probe. My wife picked mine up when they were on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond. She also had a 20% off coupon. Ended up costing a little over $20. I also find the timer useful for my mash and boil.

I just use what is called the "Splashproof" (which is the newest model). I don't think they have any of the old model left. I don't know of any other models of the Thermapen. Most of the time the Thermapen is $96 or so....they had a returns sale this past year with full factory warranties for $69. I bought one for a gift and it was like new.

Thermapen is the Apple Computer of thermometers. You get what you pay for, but a lot of people question if the quality justifies the price. It probably does, but I'd rather take my chances with a cheaper one.

// Full disclosure: I run Linux and get free updates. Plenty of people think that the $30 updates to OS X are worth it. I do not.

I got a spalshproof model as well (it's the only one they sell anymore). They had run a sale on open box units for $70. I love it.

Thermapen is the Apple Computer of thermometers. You get what you pay for, but a lot of people question if the quality justifies by the price. It probably does, but I'd rather take my chances with a cheaper one.

// Full disclosure: I run Linux and get free updates. Plenty of people think that the $30 updates to OS X are worth it. I do not.

Interesting. My Thermapen is the Apple Computer of thermometers. My laptop is the Apple Computer of Macbooks. My iPad is the Apple computer of tablets. Coincidence?

/Yep, I'm one of those look 'n feel guys. Think it's worth it? I do.

The reason I don't like that particular style is that the numbers are on the side. Many times you're looking down into a mash and measuring the temp so it's better to have them up on the top like the CDN proaccurate that I sell. I suppose the alternative is to press the hold button and pull it out to read it but the thermoworks one doesn't have a hold button either.

If you say they are so good, and people backing up your words I'm placing a order for one right now. At $28 shipped to the door, I just could not pass the offer. And you take Paypal which is a lot more convenient than CC for me. Waterproof, up to 400F, highly visible and accurate just like Thermapen, hell yeah, that's exactly what I need! I have gone through several digital thermometers in past year. I'm tired of buying $15-30 ones from Walmart and they all fail, some after first mash.

Man I've wanted a Thermapen for awhile ... but I just can't justify the price when I have so much other equipment I want to buy!

kerant said:
Does anyone make a thermometer about a foot long you can but down into a carboy?

This is the one I used in my mash until the display got washed less than carefully and died. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00279OPDU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I loved it and will probably buy it again. My only complaints were the batteries are watch batteries and I don't think you can calibrate it. But with a 9.5" probe, it tells me the temp I need closer to the center of the pot.

I've been a long time hold out on the thermapen (as a brewer) but now I'm buying one as a purveyor of brewing gear to really put a few models to the test. The bottom line is that if I find that none of the more budget versions measure up at all, I'll be up front about it and leave the higher end customers to it. I have high hopes for the CDN:
tct572-w_1.jpg

I'm also going to put it up against the Taylor version. It's hard to see at this angle but it's also a folding probe thermocouple type.

9867.1.jpg

I have one of these in a stationary location in my MLT, but use the CDN to spot check for even temperature throughout the mash. I've had no problem submersing the OXO probe. My wife picked mine up when they were on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond. She also had a 20% off coupon. Ended up costing a little over $20. I also find the timer useful for my mash and boil.

I also use the OXO probe type thermometer. It's much more versatile than the meat thermometer. I love the timer as well. This one is also able to check a foot down in a carboy....

Back