Can someone help me match the grain names (NZ website)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping that someone with a bit of experience could shead some light on a small problem I have. I live in New Zealand and we call things a little diferent to you guys over here, including grain.
So far I have just done a SMaSH with UK pale and Sticklebract that turned out pretty nice (a bit heavy on the hops for a 3 G batch).
I would like to get some more grains to try a few recipes on here/the internet but the names are confusing me, example:
Crystal malt (medium) EBC 150 - base on the color (EBC = 1.97 * SRM -> 76 SRM) would this be equivilent ot a Crystal 80L?

If someone could have a quick look at one of the websites and see if anything makes sense to them and give me a quick list of which grains I should get to have on hand.
Website - http://www.brewshop.co.nz/malts-grains?limit=all
At the moment I was thinking of grabbing some; Pale, crystal (medium) and either amber/chocolate or black.

Thanks heaps if anyone helps out, even a little! :mug:

You're correct about the crystal. It's roughly 80L. Everything else on that site is pretty standard - except perhaps the "ale malt"...no idea what that is.

As far as which grains to get it really depends on what you brew.

Come join us at http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/ bro.

I don't really like that site you posted, they don't list the maltsters and their selection isn't the best.

I'd suggest Brewer's Coop if you're in AK or Liberty Brewing if you're elsewhere in the country.

What recipes are you planning on brewing?

I have a bunch of specialty grains always on hand but the ones I use the most are light crystal (40 - 50L), munich and biscuit (substitute for victory). But that will all depend on what you want to brew.

Also what did you think of the sticklebract? Was thinking of doing an all sticklebract ESB but couldn't find any good info on it.

You're correct about the crystal. It's roughly 80L. Everything else on that site is pretty standard - except perhaps the "ale malt"...no idea what that is.

As far as which grains to get it really depends on what you brew.

Yeah mostly just kicking round with the process at the mo, and trying different things. Just ales, just seemed like most recipes call for some type of base malt (usually 2-row for you guys so that was the pale malt) and some varieties of crystal, and maybe some darker stuff. Would be keen on a porter/stout hence the choc/black.
Thanks for having a look.

Come join us at http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/ bro.

I don't really like that site you posted, they don't list the maltsters and their selection isn't the best.

I'd suggest Brewer's Coop if you're in AK or Liberty Brewing if you're elsewhere in the country.

What recipes are you planning on brewing?

I have a bunch of specialty grains always on hand but the ones I use the most are light crystal (40 - 50L), munich and biscuit (substitute for victory). But that will all depend on what you want to brew.

Also what did you think of the sticklebract? Was thinking of doing an all sticklebract ESB but couldn't find any good info on it.

Just getting into AG slowly, but really just keen to try different things. Was keen to have it like you and have a small stockpile of a few different grains on hand. Another thing is milling it, what do you use/where did you get it/and how much did it cost?
Yeah I am a memebr over on realbeer, but I should be more active there :mug:, I'll go have a browse through there now actually.
Cheers

Yeah mostly just kicking round with the process at the mo, and trying different things. Just ales, just seemed like most recipes call for some type of base malt (usually 2-row for you guys so that was the pale malt) and some varieties of crystal, and maybe some darker stuff. Would be keen on a porter/stout hence the choc/black.
Thanks for having a look....

Just getting into AG slowly, but really just keen to try different things. Was keen to have it like you and have a small stockpile of a few different grains on hand. Another thing is milling it, what do you use/where did you get it/and how much did it cost?
Yeah I am a memebr over on realbeer, but I should be more active there , I'll go have a browse through there now actually.

Just so you know that 'ale malt' is probably Baird's Pearl Pale Ale malt which is similar to but not as intense as Maris Otter. The 'pale malt' will most likely be NZ grown and malted ADM pilsner malt, in which you're correct in substituting for US domestic 2-Row.

A stock pile is good but I've got grain there that I haven't touched in probably two years. And I keep using the same stuff over and over again. If you're just starting out then I'd just buy grain as you need it - or maybe double what you need so you have some on hand for your next batch.

I bought a Barley Crusher direct from their website about two years ago, can't remember how much it was landed sorry but was pretty cheap at the time.

I'd just buy the malt as you need it - it works out a bit more expensive in the long run but means you don't end up with 2kg of black malt that takes you two years to get through ;-) Especially if you don't have a mill yet, as crushed grains don't keep very well. I'd find the recipe first before you make the order. You'll need definitely need crystal, black and choc for a porter and flaked barley and roast barley for a dry stout.

Where in the country are you? I use both Liberty (internet orders only) and Brewer's Coop (shop and email orders, in Ellerslie, Auckland). Majority of the stuff I get from BC because it's just up the road but Liberty sometimes stocks a better selection of hops. An order from Liberty will arrive within a day or two of the money showing in their account, I'd say BC would be similar.

Thanks, yeah I'm in the Mount and there is only 1 kind of decent brew shop in Tauranga but the prices of grain there are not too good (if I recall correctly).
I am probably not the best person to judge the Sticklebract, as it is really the first and only hops I have used but I did like the result. It does have a citrusy flavour.
I used 0.5 oz 60 min, 0.25 oz 15 min & 0.25 oz at flameout in a 3 gallon batch with 2 kg of pale malt.
Was probably the best beer I have made as before that it was all coopers kits :tank:

Latest posts

Back