Can someone help me figure out efficency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I got a 21 day trail of beersmith but can not find where I can calculate my efficency.My recipe was

8lbs 2 row
1lbs flaked barley
.5 roasted barley
.75 choc.
.50 crystal 120

1oz northarn brewer-60
.5oz ekg-5
sg was 1.062
Can some helpme figure the efficency out? If you need more info please let me know. I mashed at 154 for 60 min. single infusion,batch sparge.

With Beersmith, you input your efficiency. There is probably a default, what efficiency does it show?

How many gallons of 1.062 wort do you have?

Open up the recipe.
Find the "Brewhouse Efficiency" button (4th row from top)
Enter your gravity and volume
It reports your efficiency.

-a.

Open up the recipe.
Find the "Brewhouse Efficiency" button (4th row from top)
Enter your gravity and volume
It reports your efficiency.

-a.

I think because i just have the trail I have limited access so I can not do it yet. Well I will buy it shortly and look more into it...Until then can any one calculate this one for me?

Why does it even matter what it is? Thanks in advance for answering my question!

Find the 100% SG values of your malts. Convert the densities to gravity units (GUs). For example, 1.037 is 37. Multiply each GU by lbs of malt of that variety. That is the total GUs for your recipe with 100% efficiency. To calculate your efficiency, take your OG, change that to GUs (62) and multiply by volume (5 gal.) Then divide your GUs by the 100% GUs.

Why does it even matter what it is? Thanks in advance for answering my question!

When formulating recipes, you need to know your efficiency to calculate your grain bill.

What is efficiency? What's the point of it?

In a nutshell it tells you how much extract you are getting out of your grain.

efficiency = BG points (i.e. 40, if BG is 1.040) x volume in gallons / by lbs of grain.

You are shooting for a number of about 28. Anything more than that means you are doing great.

To get brewhouse efficiency you divide efficiency by the maximum ppg of the grain which you used.

* see Palmer's book for detailed info.

Back