Can someone analyze my water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo 6

Reaction score
I mainly brew NEIPA’s and have been using an RV filter for brewing. The beer comes out pretty good but I’m ready to improve my brewing. Took a sample (without the filter) and sent it to Ward Labs. Here’s my results:
pH- 7.7
TDS-262 ppm
Conductivity-.44
Cations/Anions, me/L-4.2/4.0
Sodium-22 ppm
Potassium-4 ppm
Calcium-41 ppm
Magnesium-13 ppm
Total Hardness CaCO3-157 ppm
Nitrate-1.1 ppm
Sulfate-14 ppm
Chloride-32 ppm
Carbonate <1.0 ppm
Bicarbonate-131 ppm
Alkalinity-CaCO3 108 ppm
Phosphorus-0.44 ppm
Total Iron- <.01

I’d appreciate any analysis on this report. Thanks!!

Not much to analyze, because different styles of beer have different water requirements. As it stands, it's not bad. Probably ok for a pale ale or light golden somethingeranother. The sulfate/chloride ratio is a bit on the malty side (compared with a bitter or hoppy side) but neither value is high enough to make much difference. A bit more sodium that I would typically want and a tiny bit low on calcium for many styles. If you are brewing something lighter or something with a lot of pilsner malt, you'll need a little acid addition to get the mash into a proper pH range, but thats pretty common everywhere. It's a little muddy (TDS) but no harm done. The filter will drop that down some.

Any idea what beer style you want to brew with it? Then we can help steer you into any recommended dilutions and additions to better suit the style.

Thanks So-Cal Doug.

I mainly brew hoppy pale ales, NEIPA’s and kettle sours.
I’m completely new to learning water chemistry. Just trying to figure out if I should get an RO system or make do with what I have.

Add 6.7 mL of 10% phosphoric acid per gallon, and it will be nearly alkalinity/bicarbonate free. (or 0.5 mL per gallon if using 85% phosphoric acid)

BTW, your sulfate is actually 42 ppm, as for SO4-S you must multiply by 3 to derive SO4. This is confirmed by cation/anion balance.

Last edited:
Once the alkalinity issue is resolved this should be nice water for use in beers akin to Pils, light lagers, Kolsch, Blonde Ale, and the like, without any need for further adjustment sans to bring mash pH into the 5.2-5.6 range.

For NEIPA I would add 0.25 grams of gypsum, and 1 gram of CaCl2 per gallon.

For West Coast IPA I would add 0.75 grams of gypsum, and 0.35 grams of CaCl2 per gallon.

Thanks Silver. That’s what I was looking for! I appreciate it.

Remember to address chlorine and/or chloramines if they are used by your regions water authority. Campden tablets will address this. 1/4 of a crushed tablet per 5 gallons.

Last edited:
Add 6.7 mL of 10% phosphoric acid per gallon, and it will be nearly alkalinity/bicarbonate free. (or 0.5 mL per gallon if using 85% phosphoric acid)
Ok, so I'm wondering how this will effect my mash pH? Been reading the forum and I understand dilution is the preferred way to lower alkalinity? So much to learn here.

Ok, so I'm wondering how this will effect my mash pH? Been reading the forum and I understand dilution is the preferred way to lower alkalinity? So much to learn here.

How it affects your mash pH is intricately related to the recipe you are making. Mash pH assistant software can assist there.

If you cut your alkalinity via dilution with RO or distilled water your mineral ions will be dilution ratio reduced accordingly, and in your case they seem to be nice as is, so that is why I suggested acidification and not dilution for your specific case.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing around with a few water calculators and don’t see a way to add the phosphoric acid, just dilution with RO.

So let’s say my target mash pH is 5.4 (predicted by any water calculator) and I neutralize my alkalinity as you suggested, won’t my mash pH be a lot lower than the target pH?

I’ve been playing around with a few water calculators and don’t see a way to add the phosphoric acid, just dilution with RO.

So let’s say my target mash pH is 5.4 (predicted by any water calculator) and I neutralize my alkalinity as you suggested, won’t my mash pH be a lot lower than the target pH?

Not for lighter colored beers. For that case it will most likely be higher than the target. If you are using my calculator, you do not tell it to add acid. It tells you to add acid (if needed).

Yeah I was worried I’d check mash pH and it would be 4.0 or something.
I’ll look into your calculator.

Back