Can refrigerator be converted as cooler cum fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
I need help if a double door refrigerator can be converted to have freezer and cooling section with separate power supply. Idea is I want to regulate temperature of both independently using open for fermentation and other section (freezer) either to store brewing ingredients under 0°c or sometime use it for cooling bottle.

Is it possible and has anyone done it or any references.

Generally, refrigerator/freezer combinations use a single compressor to cool them. They aren't two separate cooling systems.

We have a refrigerator in our garage; during the warmer months of the year the freezer performs fine. But in the cold months, the ambient temp is low enough that it doesn't run very much. Result? The freezer doesn't freeze all that well. That's because the operation is dictated by a thermostat in the refrigerator part of the unit, and it doesn't run all that much. Thus, the freezer doesn't get as cold as it should. Mushy ice cream, etc.

Generally, refrigerator/freezer combinations use a single compressor to cool them. They aren't two separate cooling systems.

We have a refrigerator in our garage; during the warmer months of the year the freezer performs fine. But in the cold months, the ambient temp is low enough that it doesn't run very much. Result? The freezer doesn't freeze all that well. That's because the operation is dictated by a thermostat in the refrigerator part of the unit, and it doesn't run all that much. Thus, the freezer doesn't get as cold as it should. Mushy ice cream, etc.

Sounds like you need an inkbird for your fridge

Sounds like you need an inkbird for your fridge

I don't think that would help. When the garage gets down to, say, 35 degrees, that's actually below the temp the fridge is set at (40 degrees). When ambient is lower than the set temp, the refrigerator isn't going to run. If I had it turned as cold as it possibly could go, and put the inkbird probe in the freezer at, say, 20 degrees, maybe it would get everything down to that temp--and it would probably freeze everything in the refrigerator. Including my yeast. :)

"Can refrigerator be converted as cooler cum fridge?"

You could probably add another compressor and more coils to enhanse cooling ability. But I believe semen needs to be cryogenically frozen to be viable post frozen. You may want to start with a chest freezer, you'd be that much closer to the -70c needed to keep sperm viable. Not really sure why you're posting on a Homebrew forum though.

"Can refrigerator be converted as cooler cum fridge?"

You could probably add another compressor and more coils to enhanse cooling ability. But I believe semen needs to be cryogenically frozen to be viable post frozen. You may want to start with a chest freezer, you'd be that much closer to the -70c needed to keep sperm viable. Not really sure why you're posting on a Homebrew forum though.
Tickled your funny bone huh!! Anyways objective is to save some space in my apartment. I have this fridge with temp setting for both section(freezer and cooling) so thought if it is possible to make use of cooler part for fermentation

Latest posts

Back