Can late extract addition negate the need for DME (for pale lager)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yirg

Reaction score
According to this article, late extract addition results in paler color (lower SRM). Can this technique serve as a substitute for the more expensive extra light DME?

I'd tend to say no,having used both with late extract additions. It depends on what you're brewing & what you want color-wise. I've gotten light colors with PM beers using light DME,Extra light DME,or combo's of both depending on what was available atm. but extra light will give more of a straw gold color whereas light will give a nice golden color. Also,I pay the same whether light or extra light.

I was actually referring to DME being more expensive than LME. As far as I know to get really light color with extract brewing, DME is needed, hence the need for a less expensive workaround. I guess late addition of LME isn't this workaround.

Ah. Your grammer maid it look like you meant EL was more expensive. Yeah,DME costs more,but works better,long story short. LME can be used with late extract addition with great effect. That's the main reason we came up with late extract additions to start with. Acouple pounds of extract in the partial boil for hop additions,then the majority added late in the boil. Or as I prefer,at flame out. I also do this with all my partial boil,partial mash biab beers to great effect.

Pilsner LME is the lightest of all LME. And you can add 2/3 to 3/4 of it at flameout to keep it from caramelizing during the boil.

Is it lighter than Pilsner or Extra Light DME? I don't know.

LME doesn't go through the drying stage that makes DME, but I don't know if that would affect color. Maybe LME darkens with age.

In my experience,LME does darken with age. But it also darkens easier in the boil than the more expensive DME. but I'm also starting to think they both have some slight differences in flavors produced with them. My using both in some recipes has produced some slightly fuller malt flavors.

it takes more LME then DME to get the same gravity points

S_M

DME generally costs more per gravity point.

I think pilsen has a different base malt than Gold/Golden Light. Not sure how much difference it makes. I know pilsen LME is more expensive than gold.

DME generally costs more per gravity point.

good to know :) I use DME when I use extracts because for me I find it easier to handle as I buy it by the 50 pound bag

I have also found it to be easier to store long term and I like the fact I can just weigh out what I need

with out having open bottles

all the best

S_M

good to know :) I use DME when I use extracts because for me I find it easier to handle as I buy it by the 50 pound bag

I have also found it to be easier to store long term and I like the fact I can just weigh out what I need

with out having open bottles

all the best

S_M
If you buy DME in bulk it is probably less expensive. That is why I said generally. LME is probably cheaper in bulk but like you said, DME is easier to handle. At least in nontraditional quantities.

If you buy DME in bulk it is probably less expensive. That is why I said generally. LME is probably cheaper in bulk but like you said, DME is easier to handle. At least in nontraditional quantities.

I did price LME from williams if I buy the equivalent of a 50 bag of DME in their 8 pound foil pouches

the cost is about the same to my door with the shipping

doing 11.5 gallon partial mash I just could not get the numbers to work to replace half of my base malt in most recipes without have some left over or the lose a few gravity points

so I just stuck with DME, they have lots of types of LME that is why I was looking at them

having DME on hand is great for starters and missed gravity points

all the best

S_M

The OP's question was about color. His misconception about LME/DME complicated things.

I will agree that DME is better in all ways, and is no more expensive than LME.

That said........

(Pilsner LME????? Pilsner is a different animal, especially in an ale)

That said, the later the addition of extract, the less chance of it caramelizing.

True of ANY extract, but particularly LME.

Back