Can I use this brand quick grits in place of Flaked Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being in the city raw barley animal feed would be more difficult to find
There's baker's grade too.
I used to pick up sacks of (pre-milled) pizza flour at a baker's supply outfit. Not all flour is the same, that was certainly the best flour for pizza. They had all kinds of other grain products too.

Sadly, they did not carry malted barley, which was something I was looking for too and could not find. This was in the early 90s trying to get into homebrewing, Charlie Style.

There's baker's grade too.
I used to pick up sacks of (pre-milled) pizza flour at a baker's supply outfit. Not all flour is the same, that was certainly the best flour for pizza. They had all kinds of other grain products too.

Sadly, they did not carry malted barley, which was something I was looking for too and could not find. This was in the early 90s trying to get into homebrewing, Charlie Style.
I gotcha, this makes me wanna try and make a beer strictly from ingredients from the supermarket minus the yeast and hops

Depending on the manufacturer, the flaking process heats the barley up and because of that, the flavour changes a bit. I got some flaked barley that smells completely different than non-flaked, it has this nice and almost a bit sweet popcorn type of aroma.

You can of course use the non flaked barley, no problem with that. But you might miss out a bit by not having this extra flaked barley aroma.

Depending on the manufacturer, the flaking process heats the barley up and because of that, the flavour changes a bit. I got some flaked barley that smells completely different than non-flaked, it has this nice and almost a bit sweet popcorn type of aroma.

You can of course use the non flaked barley, no problem with that. But you might miss out a bit by not having this extra flaked barley aroma.
Now making me wonder if you toast the pearled barley in a dry saute pan like indians do with spices to deepen the flavor

beer strictly from ingredients from the supermarket
Hard to find any kind of malt in a supermarket... Hard to find a supermarket that sells anything in bulk. The days of bulk bags on the bottom shelves are long gone.

Those familiar 42 oz round boxes with rolled oats is about as bulk as it gets now. But I've been getting the 10# boxes of rolled oats at Sam's or Costco for years. Sadly they're almost $1.20 a pound now. :(

Hard to find any kind of malt in a supermarket... Hard to find a supermarket that sells anything in bulk. The days of bulk bags on the bottom shelves are long gone.

Those familiar 42 oz round boxes with rolled oats is about as bulk as it gets now. But I've been getting the 10# boxes of rolled oats at Sam's or Costco for years. Sadly they're almost $1.20 a pound now. :(
Yeah great point

Now making me wonder if you toast the pearled barley in a dry saute pan like indians do with spices to deepen the flavor
Toasting pearled barley in a pan and grinding it to a flour results in tsampa! The Himalayan staple food since centuries. Tastes nicely nutty when done right :)

Can be just mixed with water and being eaten directly.

Toasting pearled barley in a pan and grinding it to a flour results in tsampa! The Himalayan staple food since centuries. Tastes nicely nutty when done right :)

Can be just mixed with water and being eaten directly.
Sweet 🤙🏻

Yes, you can replace any or all flaked barley with pearled barley, 1 to 1.

Flaked barley still has some bran and pieces of husk in it (the small brown patches), pearled doesn't. When used in the mash, I would not expect much or any perceptible difference between either, or in the resulting beer.*

So use what's easier available or lighter on your wallet.

* Just a thought, no research or evidence. Pearled barley may be fresher tasting, due to being less processed and oxidized, being small, hard kernels with far less surface area than flaked barley. Something that may also appeal to LoDO brewers.
I went ahead and brewed a 3 gallon batch of dry stout and replaced flaked barley with pearled that i toasted in a pan, all other things the same, the wort was pretty much identical to when i use flaked except flaked seems to create more frothy foam the pearled was less foamy, excited to see how it turns out 🤙🏻

Here she is Dry stout with pearled barley, success! very delicious just will change yeast next time but 2 thumbs up

Attachments

• 5128DAC8-15DA-402A-A519-E99F28FB3936.jpeg
    5128DAC8-15DA-402A-A519-E99F28FB3936.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back