Can I use gelatin to clarify after I have carbonated the beer in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firenze

Reaction score
I was not able to find the answer to this question with a quick search so forgive me if this is a repost.

IPA looks like a nasty wheat beer right now and it is bugging me. If the answer is no, what clarifying options do I have at this point?

I use gelatin in carbonated kegs all of the time. I haven't really even had an issue with excessive foaming either. Just be ready to quickly put the lid back on. I've also dumped the gelatin mixture in to a clean, empty keg and jumped beer in to it. That was a little less effective, but it was with a Belgian Golden Strong that was very, very carbonated.

I also use gelatin or carbonated beer. I drop the temp to ~33 let it sit on C02 overnight at 30 psi and add gelatin after about 24 hrs and I get great results.

How long has it been in your keg fridge? Time should clear it up nicely if you give it a week.

probably cold crashed for 24ish hours, then kegged and carbed for 5 days now.

Really hazy, I don't think its going to clear up too much more.

Definitely can, ran into the same thing with the last IPA I made. After a week of cloudy pours, I added some Knox gelatin and let it sit for 2 more days and came up with this:

BasCeg4IQAAMyk3.jpg

Works wonders on the stubborn ones that don't seem to clear naturally.

Also depends on the recipe and process. I'm no expert, but I used some flaked barley for head retention as an experiment, fermented with Conan and it never cleared even after a crash and gelatin.

probably cold crashed for 24ish hours, then kegged and carbed for 5 days now.

Really hazy, I don't think its going to clear up too much more.

24 hours isn't enough time for a cold crash. I normally let mine sit in the primary 5-7 days at 35-36*F and they clear up quite nicely.

It's possible that you've got some chill haze going on in there. Did you chill your wort quickly? Use any clarifiers like Whirlfloc?

Back