Can I use Belgian Saisson yeast at colder temps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
So, I'm about to start my second batch of beer (first batch, safely bottled):mug: The thing is, I assumed that I'd do another Belgian Pale Ale as fermenting temps would be 70-78 degrees F. BUT.....I just realized I have a HUGE wine frig in which I could easily fit a 6 gallon bucket. It can keep temps around 58-60 degrees F on the "red wine" setting. So, can I use the Belgian Saisson yeast which calls for 65-80 degree temps, OR should I get a "colder" yeast? I'm gonna stick with the other ingredients that I planned on using for the bear either way. Go ahead and use "hot" yeast in colder temps...or buy some "cold" yeast to match the temp in the cooler?

To get the flavor profile from the Saison yeast you pretty much have to ferment high (80-90F). I have never fermented a saison yeast that low, but i read a lot of post's of people who do and they never seem happy with the results.

I would suggest using a different Belgian strain IMO.

For my Saisons i use a 50 gallon rubbermaid with a aquarium heater (150 watt i think). I has no problem keeping it in the mid to high 80's.

To get the flavor profile from the Saison yeast you pretty much have to ferment high (80-90F). I have never fermented a saison yeast that low, but i read a lot of post's of people who do and they never seem happy with the results.

I would suggest using a different Belgian strain IMO.

For my Saisons i use a 50 gallon rubbermaid with a aquarium heater (150 watt i think). I has no problem keeping it in the mid to high 80's.

Really? up to 90? If that's the case, I feel like an idiot constantly using ice packs and creating a swamp setup to keep the temps in the 70s. I thought that anything above 80 would produce "off flavors". I guess not, since you've done it. Wish I knew that before. It would have saved me a LOT of time and hassle!

I actually read an article where people fermented low with saison yeast, but intentionally severely underpitched in order to stress the yeast. They had good results since the saison flavors come from the yeast being stressed by temps!

Basically there is more than one way to skin the cat!

I actually read an article where people fermented low with saison yeast, but intentionally severely underpitched in order to stress the yeast. They had good results since the saison flavors come from the yeast being stressed by temps!

Basically there is more than one way to skin the cat!

I can agree with that, but using higher temps has more of a guarantee in my opinion (not to say your wrong by any means) to achieve those saison flavors.

Regardless, if you get a chance listen to this podcast by Jamil Zanisheff. At the end Chris White from White Labs joins to discuss their WLP565. It is great information. :mug:

I can agree with that, but using higher temps has more of a guarantee in my opinion (not to say your wrong by any means) to achieve those saison flavors.

Regardless, if you get a chance listen to this podcast by Jamil Zanisheff. At the end Chris White from White Labs joins to discuss their WLP565. It is great information. :mug:

I agree with you completely. Higher temps are the best way to do it...you get the yeast colony big and heathly with less lag time reducing chances for infections (although a soured, funky saison doesn't sound half bad :D ). And it produces more consistent results! I just wanted to show there are other options if you want to explore them!

I did 10 gallons of saison, split up between ferm chamber and ambient using 3711. FC was 68, ambient was in the 90.s. The FC saison conked out at 1.020. I swirled it up and took it out of the FC and it finished at 1.000. The ambient saison went to 1.000 in a few days and was better than the temp controlled one. The character came out more and it tasted like a saison. The temp controlled tasted more like a BPA.

My fermentation stuck at about 1.040 when I tried using the Belgian Saison. Started fermenting again when I wrapped a heating blanket around it for a few days to raise the temp. I have heard that is a potential problem with the strain.

I've fermented in the mid-60s with a saison blend (ECY08) and it turned out quite nice, but not very "saisony". More clove than normal, and a bit of banana. Less esters/phenols otherwise.

I've done 68 for three days, then 78 for three days, then 85 for four days and had great results. I've done this with 3522 and PS566. I haven't used 3711 yet but it's next.

Back