Can i use a propane turkey fryer stove for brewing? Also how much propane do you use for one 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
So I am looking at taking my brewing outdoors, have heard that using propane the water will heat up faster then on a standard gas range. Was hoping some people could weigh in...

Also on average, how much propane does 1 5 gallon batch typically take?

Yes a propane burner, such as one for frying a turkey is far superior to a gas stove in terms of getting things up to temp quickly.

3 - 4 pounds per brew session is a good estimate, but variables such as outside temp, wind and boil length all change that. I would have a spare tank ready.

Yes a propane burner, such as one for frying a turkey is far superior to a gas stove in terms of getting things up to temp quickly.

3 - 4 pounds per brew session is a good estimate, but variables such as outside temp, wind and boil length all change that. I would have a spare tank ready.

What should I expect boiling times to be as I use a 3.5 gallon pot for my extract brews? My stove takes close to an hour to boil...

I do 3.5 to 4 gallon batches using a Bayou Classic turkey fryer burner. I never actually timed it but I would guess mash temp to boil is 10 to 15 minutes. It might go even faster if I cranked the burner to full power but I feel like it spills a lot of wasted heat to the side of the bottom of the kettle. I use the 7 gallon turkey fryer pot as my brew kettle (never used it for frying). Keep an eye on it as hot break can be fast and furious. I have not really kept track but I think I get at least 5 brews out of a standard barbecue size propane tank. Once you get boiling you can turn it down pretty low. Based on This Thread I have been using a lot less propane and the beer is just as good or better.

fwiw, the highest output burners on most gas ranges are in the 8K BTU to 10K BTU range. iirc even the smallest BC burner (BG10) puts out at least four times that output on propane...

Cheers!

I brew 4-5 times a year in a different location doing 2.5 gal, full volume, no sparge BIAB. I use a turkey fryer with an 8 gal kettle and a 60K BTU burner. Heating room temp water to mash in temps takes <10 minutes and bringing the wort to a boil probably a bit less than that. I doubt if I use more than a couple pounds of propane per batch. I’ll try to remember to weigh the tank next time.

FWIW, a turkey fryer, a couple of buckets for fermenting and bottling, a few paint strainer bags, an immersion chiller, and the usual assortment of small tools and accessories, and one can be all grain brewing for $150, or so. There’s no bling factor, and you have to accept brewing outdoors or in the garage, but good beer can be made and, if the novelty wears off, you can always fry turkeys. :cool:

What should I expect boiling times to be as I use a 3.5 gallon pot for my extract brews? My stove takes close to an hour to boil...
Depends on the BTUs. You can get some real jet engine burners, most turkey fryers are on the smaller side, though. Still many times better than anything a gas range can offer, though.

If you're outside, wind will also be factor, blowing away the heat and slowing your boil time. Using a windblock (I made a simple one out of cardboard) or brewing in the garage with the door open are both work arounds.

Not much more to add except you can really control how much propane you use by regulating the flame once you reach boil. I have been brewing using propane turkey cookers for more than 12 years with great success. I have done huge 15 gallon mashes, partigyles, BIAB, standard extracts, the works on those burners and they work great. As has been noted I always have a backup tank. I can't say how many brews I get from a tank as I just keep rotating with my gas grill, which gets a lot of use as well, but it is easily 3-4 brews per tank. At<$20 per tank it comes out to around $5 a brew for gas, which isn't all that bad. And they really speed up the brew day compared to stovetop. I will stop there.

I have the Bayou SP10 w/10psi reg, it is rated at 59,000 btu. I can hit a boil from mash temps in about 15 minutes. Outdoors you will probably want a windscreen. Mine is just a roll of aluminum flashing. You will use less gas with the windscreen too. I get about 4 brews out of one tank (always have 2 tanks so you have a spare to swap in when you run out). Here is a pic of my setup; the flashing will be permanently mounted to the brew stand after I stain it this summer and build a door for the front of it, just ran out of time before snow flew last year. Still works great.
85374961-59BC-487D-91D9-3A6096AFCB39.jpeg

Back