Can I still bottle this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdib444

Reaction score
Hey guys so I just began a brewing club at my school and we did our first three brews, an IPA, pale ale, and a chocolate milk stout. Unfortunately I saw a small white film develop after fermentation was complete on the stout so I racked underneathe to secondary. Obviously from the pictures I didn't get all of it out. I see I caught a bug but could I still safely bottle underneathe of this?

I really want to avoid disappointing people but also would not want bottle bombs. Could I rack under and bottle/underprime a bit?

Thanks for the help!

image-1460226473.jpg

image-897961027.jpg

2nd stage of a lactobacylis infection. Try rackin underneith it to bottle. It might be alright if it's at FG & you under carb a little bit. That happened to one of my PM IPA's I did a couple weeks ago. It looks like I caught it early enough so far. Didn't look as bad as yours. Something wasn't cleaned properly before sanitizing,if it was sanitized at all...

Thanks for the advice. As far as sanitizing goes I have a pretty strict routine with it. Must of gotten in there when I opened the lid or drew out a sample. I'm going to bottle it up tonight and hope for the best since it still tastes great right now

My point was that if something isn't cleaned really well,you're just sanitizing dirt. Doesn't always work for long. So think back on your process this time for something you may've overlooked.

Back