Can I steep an all-grain SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyskier

Reaction score
Is it possible to steep an all-grain SMaSH? I dont have a mash tun and want to try a SMaSh recipe.

9.5# Belgian Pils
4oz 3% AA Saaz (1.5@60,1.5@20,1@Flameout)
WLP550

I have done a few mini-mash brews with good success. Can this recipe be steeped? Does it need modification? Should I add some LME? What OG should I shoot for?

Thanks in advance!

Pilsner needs to mash. If you've done a mini-mash before, you can do it exactly the same way though. You might want to search BIAB (brew in a bag) before you try.

If you conduct the mash properly, you won't need any extract. If you end up with lower gravity than you want, you can either decide to just have a lower gravity beer or add some DME - your call.

You should also plan on a 90 minute boil. That will minimize any potential DMS issues from the Pilsner.

BIAB is a good, easy way to get into all grain. You will need to mash the pils so going BIAB will allow you to do it without a mash tun.

What OG should I be shooting for on something like this? I would guess about 1.048- 1.052, but thats just a guess.

As mentioned go for a BIAB approach, you cant go wrong! Its a beautifully simple way to do all grain.
Id recommend trying to use the full volume of water when you are mashing rather than trying to rinse/dunk sparge. You can expect a good efficiency this way - I tend to get about 82%.

Those of you who are dunking, whats your process? How long do you dunk for?

All temps calculated by GBRackers. Heat about 1.25 qts/lb to 2 or so degrees above strike temp, Add grain (in bag) and stir to get to your rest temp (152 or whatever). Mash for about an hour (depending on recipe). Lift grain bag out and let drain for 30 seconds or so, then put bag into second pot with water heated to 170. Heat first runnings to 170 immediately for a mash-out. Leave grain in second pot for a 10 minute batch sparge, then lift out grain bag and squeeze the dickens out of it (it's hot, use pot lids or something). Mix first and second runnings and boil.

You can adjust the total water volume to account for boil-off and some loss due to grain absorption (though not much, since you're squeezing). You can adjust between the mash and sparge amounts so you don't overflow your sparge pot if necessary.

I later began doing my mash in a plastic bucket with bag and then dunking into sparge pot and pouring out of the bucket into a pot. Then I got a spigot, then ditched the bag for a manifold and now do a hybrid fly sparge through the bucket lid with holes in it. I got 87% with that method on a 1.089 Imperial Stout (with a little candi sugar).

I read that its is not advisable to squeeze the grains due to the fact that undesirable tanins are released from the grain into your wort. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I read that its is not advisable to squeeze the grains due to the fact that undesirable tanins are released from the grain into your wort. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Debated.

However, the general take is that it doesn't. Temperature and PH need to be at certain levels, for extended periods, and then you could extract the tannins from the husks of the grain.

Squeeze away.

Modified SMaSH
Brew Date 9-21-2012

9# Weyermann Pilsner
½ # Cara Pilsner
4oz AA3.9 Saaz
Wyeast Belgian Abbey

Steep Grains in 2.5 Gallons 155F for 45 minutes
Dunk Sparge in 2 Gallons at 170F

Little over 4 gallons at beginning of boil
Lots of foam at the start of the boil
The wort has a very basic and simple smell. Not as complex as other brews I’ve done. Obviously from the simple grain bill.

Based on recommendations Im going to boil the wort for 90 minutes total. This was a suggestion to reduce DMS issues with Pilsner.

Add 1.5oz hops at 60 min
Add 1.5oz hops at 30 min
Add ½ Gallon water at 30 min
Yeast fuel (Fermax) at 15 min (1 heaping Tbs)
1 oz hops at 5 min
Flame out at 0 min

Son of a *****. 4 gallons of wort ended up at 1.046. Way under my expected OG. Im boiling up 1 gallon of water and adding about ¾ pound of Pilsen light DME to raise the OG of my wort. Lets see how much more I can eff this up!

Waste of time. Moral of the story, don’t drink a 1/5 of Absolut and RedBull before brewing. I wasted my DME. I just left my wort alone and I’ve got 4 gallons of semi-SMaSH with an OG of 1.046. Im gonna let it ferment FOREVER hoping for a low FG!

What did I learn? I need a mash tun! Or I should stick to mini-mashes and extract.

Back