Can I make hard cider from old juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drcarl

Reaction score
Greetings,

It was August 1st this year that I acquired 5 gallons of fresh apple juice. Then life (and some disasters) happened and many days passed.

I'd like someone (who knows) to tell me if I can make hard cider from this juice that has been, and still is refrigerated...or should I just toss it all and wait for next year?

TIA

DrCarl

ADDED: If anyone can point me to a recipe for how to make apple cider vinegar from hard cider, I'd be thrilled. I have about 3 gallons of hard cider I made from a little over a year ago and actually want to turn it into vinegar. (I have some mothers) Thanks more...

If the juice still tastes good, go for it. If it has started to ferment already you can let it finish and hope for the best. Or, hit it with Camden and then dd yeast from the store. I had a couple of gallons of hard cider go south on me, so I added a chunk of the vinegar mother I have, shook it up and let it go. I now have a gallon of some amazing apple cider vinegar, and some above average cherry cider vinegar.

MindenMan - tanks....sounds like I am good to go on both accounts!

Thanks you for the encouragement and thoughts.

Looks like I am good on rule 1 - didn't throw anything out. In fact, I drank a bunch of the wine I made from last year. I hope my current batch survives in spite of how much fun I was having last night! Also read that some "leftovers" can be used to make a sourdough bread starter! Gotta try that!

When I was near the brew store, it was Monday. They were closed. Boo hoo. So, not having much yeast on hand I stopped by a local winery and was gifted some wine yeast (ZYMAFLORE® VL3) and some enzymes to clear up the cider (LAFAZYM® PRESS).

Last night, the more "fun" I had, amazingly, the sloppier I got and started trusting all the products and the fermentation gods to do what they should... at least what I hoped for... dreamt of?

I am sure I used way too much of everything: dissolved 3.5 lbs of sugar, mostly raw organic cane sugar, a couple grams of yeast that I think I activated in some 100 degree water, a bunch of enzyme that I hydrated also in some water...threw it all together into a sanitized carboy and this time, with some nice advice from this forum, (and from what little was left of my memory) I left a small headspace instead of a giant one. SG is 1.045 or 1.046.

Like everyone: I hope it lives. Here's a shot after about 18 hours. I made a great movie, too!

Is it done yet? lol....Ill be more mindful of the airlock over the next few, several or bunch of months.

I think I'll go have some apple "juice" now.

View attachment Beer 2015 002.mov

20150916_150527.jpg

20150916_150546.jpg

Anyone catch the MOVIE I posted in the previous link? Award winning material I think...lol... (must have had beer on the mind...it's CIDER not beer - lol)

Now I have to figure out how to tame this batch. had to drain some juice to make more headspace. The foam keeps getting into the airlock...even blew it's cork off once (last night)...Probably have to use a second carboy until the action slows a bit...just thinking...

I am glad to hear all seems well, good job! If you ask Yooper she will tell you she uses bucket covered in a cloth to keep out the fruit flies initially, and aerates it the first three days if I remember correctly... If I am wrong Yooper, please forgive me.

All IS well. After removing about a quart in order to keep the foam from overflowing, the bubbling has increased and yet they pop faster. I have added back the quart I removed and all seems to be well.

Glad to hear you are getting positive results and your fermentation is on track! You may want to consider putting a gallon aside and trying your hand at making applejack; I highly recommended it.

...your hand at making applejack; I highly recommended it.

Hmmm....tempting...my freezer is at -10. The interwebs say that's good for 20% kickapoo juice. hmmmm...

I wonder if any will ever make it to ACV (apple cider vinegar) - lol

In the days before refrigeration going into winter, the New England Cider makers would let their barrels of hard cider that were left outside freeze and thaw and freeze and thaw, etc., until the outer layer of the barrel was ice, and all the alcohol was "trapped" in the middle. They would use a hot poker to get through the ice to retrieve the nectar of the gods trapped inside. I tell you all this for a specific reason; into a pint bottle they would add 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal, fill with hard cider and condition for no less than 2 years. No, this wasn't a typo; 2 years. I have never been able to get any past the age of 10 months: SWMBO loves the stuff! I can tell you the wait is really worth it. Kickapoo joy juice, damn it's been decades since I heard that! If you want to make ACV out of what is left over from the freezing, thaw, add a can of FAJC and let ferment again, and then add a source of vinegar culture.

Back