Can I make a German Pils with this water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
I'm only a year into water adjustments and have made mostly IPAs and English beers this past year, but I'm planning on brewing a German Pils and would like to know if I can use my well water or if I'll need to either dilute or use all distilled and build up. My water chemistry is as follows:
Ca: 68
Mg: 14
Na: 7
SO4S: 30
Cl: 66
Bicarbonate: 142
Alkalinity 116

Without diluting, I'm not sure I can get there from here. Diluting with 50% distilled, and adding some gypsum can get me to:
Ca: 59
Mg: 7
Na: 4
SO4S: 74
Cl: 33
Bicarbonate: 71

which is pretty close to the Jever (boiled) profile, just a little short on sodium.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on whether my water is suitable for a pils, whether i need to dilute or use all distilled, and whether the Jever profile is what I should be targeting?

Thanks everyone,
John

My well water is similar to yours and I do what you are planning when doing a pilsner- dilute 50% with DH20 or RO and add a bit of gypsum.
By the way, I'm originally from Danbury. Have lived in Maine now for 35 years.

The second water profile looks very good.
Hardness is under 100 and the Cl:SO4 level favors hops slightly. I'd brew a Pils with that .... but would add just enough calcium to reach 80 or so.

Last edited:
I would initially try using your well water straight up, and adding 2/3 Oz. of acidulated malt per pound of grist. This presumes that the grist will be mainly European sourced Pilsner malt. In addition, acidify sparge water to about pH 5.4 - 5.5.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

By the way, I'm originally from Danbury. Have lived in Maine now for 35 years.
Small world! My wife would move to Maine in a heartbeat!

I would initially try using your well water straight up, and adding 2/3 Oz. of acidulated malt per pound of grist. This presumes that the grist will be mainly European sourced Pilsner malt. In addition, acidify sparge water to about pH 5.4 - 5.5.
I don't have the grain bill yet, but it'll probably be 95% German Pilsner.

Back