Can i ferment Homey Wheat Beer once kegged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBrnDmgd

Reaction score
Was going on vacation and brewed an all grain Honey Wheat beer. After 3 weeks airlock was still bubbling and my hydrometer was broken. I took a chance and force carbonated. It is tasty but has too much of a honey presence on the back end. Is there anyway to ferment this longer? Do I take keg out of kegerator and put in basement for a few months? Any ideas welcomed..

i doubt much yeast is in there so you'll need to add more but there shouldn't be anything wrong with doing what you're saying and warming it back up to room temp for a week or so

Did you use actual honey or honey malt? Honey takes longer to ferment, if you used honey, I would just purge the CO2, warm it back up in the sealed keg and wait a couple months, then you will have naturally carbed "cask" honey wheat beer. There should be plenty of yeast, you might want to get the yeast back in suspension after it warms up. After a week, pull the pressure release a little to make sure it's fermenting, if it's not you are stuck, maybe some aging would help, but the yeast may not take off again. I suppose you could try adding some amylase but depends how much you want to fiddle with it.

COLObrewer said:
Did you use actual honey or honey malt? Honey takes longer to ferment, if you used honey, I would just purge the CO2, warm it back up in the sealed keg and wait a couple months, then you will have naturally carbed "cask" honey wheat beer. There should be plenty of yeast, you might want to get the yeast back in suspension after it warms up. After a week, pull the pressure release a little to make sure it's fermenting, if it's not you are stuck, maybe some aging would help, but the yeast may not take off again. I suppose you could try adding some amylase but depends how much you want to fiddle with it.

Thanks. I'm going to warm keg and re-pitch some yeast.

Back