Can I brew a 15 gallon batch with one beer bottle for the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
Suppose I bought an unfiltered commercial 12 oz beer with a yeast layer at the bottom of the bottle. I poured out the beer and added sterilized water and some dme, and made a starter in the bottle. After a day passed, I poured the bottle mixture into a 2L flask and added more water and dme to make a starter the was the size needed for a 5 gallon batch. Then the next day I made it into a 15 gallon starter.

Would that work?

Yep, step starters. I would suspect it will take more than two steps to get up to adequate pitching quantities (without stressing the yeast).

It's worth noting that some commercial beers use a different yeast for bottle conditioning than their primary fermentation, that's important to remember if this is supposed to be a clone.

That won't be nearly enough time for the yeast to multiply to enough numbers to even think about pitching into a 15 gallon batch. I step up my bottle harvested starters a minimum of 3 times when pitching into 5 gallon batches with a ~150mL, ~600mL, then ~1.25L starter. And it usually takes at least a week or more for that entire process.

Back